38-55 High Wall anybody?

tacfoley

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm getting my new-to-me Uberti 38-55 High Wall replica sometime in the New Year, and wondering if anybody here has any pet loads using BP substitutes, sacrilege though it might seem.

TIA

tac
 
I use cast bullets and 9.5 grains of Green Dot with a pinch of dryer lint on top of the powder, in my 38-55 trapdoor springfield. I am quite happy with the accuracy. I would strongly suggest consulting Lyman or similar reputable loading manual for powder type and charge.
The dryer lint is to keep the powder against the primer for more consistent ignition and burning.

cheers mooncoon
 
My Uberti had a very large bore (.382") and did not shoot well with anything smaller, before i traded it, I settled on a case full of Swiss 3f black and a 255gr. fp sized to .382" and made of very soft alloy. It could/did not shoot with my other .38/55 which would digest most anything with it's .376" Douglas Bl.
 
Thank you, Gentlemen - looks like shooting it is going to be an adventure. The present owner has a lot of BP loads worked up, as well as two different types of bullet - but with an unfriendly house insurance company I had to ask about non-BP loads.

Thanks again

tac
 
I bought the Pedersoli .38-55 High Wall after reading about the Ubertis having unusually large bores. I haven't shot it a lot yet, and what I have was with .380 sized cast WW and IMR 4198 powder. Made some BP loads but have not shot them yet. I have not slugged the bore yet either.
 
With a large bore and black powder, you would be wise to be using 5% alloy lead so that they will obturate into the bore. I have a 32-40 with a .007" oversize bore and that is what I use. Hard cast bullets tumble at 25 yards and probably as soon as they are out of the muzzle. Semi hard ones didn't tumble but were not accurate

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom