38-55 loads

bogie

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
495   0   3
Location
Vancouver
I have a 1900 vintage Winchester 1894 in 38-55 I am setting up to reload for so I dont have to pay $2 a round. The manuals say not to load over 1700fps. Everybody has an opinion on how far to go but who can actually answer that question accurately? Dont want to take a chance on hurting my sweetie but I would like an actual engineering answer rather than someone elses opinion. Sure it works but for how long?? Who can I talk to?
FWIW I will be loading smokeless and cast. Also have a chrony.
 
27.5 grs of RL-7 gives a 250 gr. cast 1800 fps and 25,400 cup, in the same manual the 30/30 in a '94 is loaded to 38,000 cup (170 gr. cast)..take from this what you will!
 
I've also been working up a load for my 1894 in .38-55, and I've been getting some funny results. I've tried both Varget and H414 (Stuff I've had lying around; I'll be buying some different powders lather this week), and with both of them I've had a sustantial amount of unburned powder grains left in the bore. These are fairly healthy loads with 250 grain cast bullets (Lyman mould), and there have been few pressure signs and almost zero leading. My advice is to carefully work up a load from published data, and see what your rifle likes. Watch for pressure signs; I've found the best accuracy with loads several grains below maximum anyways. I don't know why they publish pressure data for the .38-55 well below the .30-30 in the same rifle action, but they must have some reason. Perhaps because the .38-55 was chambered in some weaker blackpowder-only actions prior to the win 1894?

Erik.
 
I called Winchester today in the US to the Older Firearms section and what they gave me as maximum was 1300fps or about 38,400cup. The 375 comes up as 68000cup. Something smells. Should be able to at least load to the same year 30-30 you would think. Most likely same receiver etc.
 
I was playing with some different loads of 4895 and I've noticed unburned powder as well. But definitely more bang when I light'er up. A friend suggested magnum primers but I'm a little leary on that idea. If uber performance is what I want I'll go to a more modern caliber.
Stay safe
 
Depends also if your Winchester has "NICKEL STEEL BARREL
ESPECIALLY FOR SMOKELESS POWDER" marked on the barrel or not, as well as being found sound by a good gunsmith. 2400, 5744, IMR 3031, Blackhorn 209 and black powder are also worth trying.

Win 38-55 has a number of posts on this board where he describes his hand loading adventures with the 38-55. I'd encourage you to check them out as they have good information for the 38-55 hand loader.
 
I should take it in to Barry Jensen at Bits of Pieces and get some solid advise I think. I think mine predates all of that by a couple of years and it also depends on the receiver not just the barrel. If it comes to be a problem I would sell it rather than potentially destroy the old girl and buy something a bit newer that can handle higher loads. I could always get a Win 375 and that would be a solved problem. Still there is something uberkool about shooting a gun 110yrs old that is seriously accurate. It would be hard to part with. I have been involved with other forums about reloading with smokeless but until I know just how far I can take this it is a risky thing. I will do as much groundwork as I can.
 
Bogie: I don't advocate loading that old girl to the same pressure levels as a modern levergun in 30/30 but those numbers from Winchester are all wrong, my info shows lots of loads to 1800 fps and none go above 28000cup(255gr. cast)...must be a typo or something....get you Lyman's 49th and be happy.
 
Well, back from my discussion with the school educated, registered and licensed gunsmith. The loads I see in the manuals are all under 30,000CUP, most being under 29,000. Those should be safe loads that will not damage the gun. In particularly good shape so I will stick with the limits of the loading manuals as it leaves about a 25% safety margin. He also suggested I play with the powders to see which one gives a full case load. No gaps and no powder compression either. Just nicely filled. He seems to think the H4895 is likely to be one of the best choices. That should give me just over 1700fps. Several people have told me not to exceed 1800fps so that falls in nicely. Of course I could use Red River Cereal to fill any air gaps too. Got some cast loads sized for this barrel and lubed. Just waiting for me to get around it. I cant think of any other way to make sure this is being done safely. FYI Barry has a tendancy to stay well on the safe side with everything he does so if he is ok with this that tells me something too. Got loads in my Sierra and Lee manual for cast but I will pick up the Lyman too. Thanks for that. Cant have too much info.
 
Back
Top Bottom