Hi all! I have a marlin 1893 trapper in 38-55. the barrel states black powder so i am looking for some reloading info for smokeless powder safe in my BP barrel and any information on a black powder load with any packing ideas.
Hi all! I have a marlin 1893 trapper in 38-55. the barrel states black powder so i am looking for some reloading info for smokeless powder safe in my BP barrel and any information on a black powder load with any packing ideas.
I have the same question...
In the meantime I've loaded the following BP rounds:
Brass: new Starline (the shorter one as they make 2 lengths)
Powder: 41 grains Goex FFG
Primer: CCI large pistol (200)
Bullet: Jet Bullet's LRNFP, 250 grains, 0.379", lubed with SPG
COAL: 2.515"
Other: I annealed my brass before sizing. I added a cork wad (about 1/16") between the powder and bullet and finished the round with a moderate to firm crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Lastly, the bullet above is pretty sweet with 2 fairly generous grooves to accept lube. The 41 grains of FFG was trickled through a drop tube and was just enough to give me decent compression.
Hi all! I have a marlin 1893 trapper in 38-55. the barrel states black powder so i am looking for some reloading info for smokeless powder safe in my BP barrel and any information on a black powder load with any packing ideas.
...the only thing that would fowl up the issue here is if either of you have a Marlin with one of the badly oversized bores. Early 38-55 bores are notorious for being over-dia. & Marlins have the reputation for being the worst.
![]()
Note also the duplex 4759/FFg load, you won't see that listed in any new books.



























