38 Long Colt Reloading

38 LC cylinders are bored straight through, so 38 Spl cases fit. However, they also use heeled or HB bullets like the 41 LC to keep them from rattling around in the bore, as the bore on the 38 LC is slightly larger than the 38 spl.

38spl cases with HB bullets loaded to 38 LC spec should work.
 
If it's anything like 41lc hollow base bullets will be zero accuracy.I'd suggest looking up Old west bullet moulds.
And see about heeled bullet moulds and a collet crimper.
My 41 went from crap to one of my more accurate antiques.
 
The secret to HB bullets is using soft lead with the right powder, as the skirt on the bullet needs to expand into the rifling of the barrel. I get decent accuracy with pure lead and unique, out of my 1892. I wouldn’t call it great though, I’ve never tried heeled bullets.
 
It would likely help to start out with the proper brass. Starline makes .38LC brass. And if you can't find a vendor for it in eastern Canada then Rusty Wood Trading out this way is showing it as in stock.

I'm thinking that from there to avoid the need to cast your own you might try figuring out some way to make an expander to push .38HBWC ammo out to .361 so it at least starts out with the proper size.

Although I suppose that once you "fire form" the .38Spl cases out to fit the cylinder that might also work just as well. But from there on I'd use .38LC dies and not .38Spl dies to reload the now expanded brass.

In the end how far you go with it depends on how much importance you put on accuracy from the gun. I'll bet that with the proper ammo in all respects that it's as good as any other revolver for accuracy. And that's saying something.
 
Looking around at various drawings it does appear that the Long Colt can be the same or a few thou larger for body diameter. Different casing drawings show from .379 (a match with most drawings for .38Spl) up to a couple I found that show .381 for the case diameter.

But taking the worst in each direction it ends up either the same or up to .003 larger for the LC. So close enough for sure.

But all the .38LC information I found mentions a significantly larger diameter bullet at .360 to .361. That leads me to believe that the LC cases are a thinner wall.

Again all these little things will only be a real issue if we're looking for the utmost accuracy that the old pistol is capable of delivering. And it's entirely possible that the easy way out of using soft lead .357HBWC loaded rounds will work just fine.
 
I've 2 38 LC 1892's. I use an Elmer Keith style .357 dia 158 HB bullet with good results. Had cut down 38 special brass. While I still have them, I rarely shoot them. Likely they will be used to upgrade a couple of 1889 41's to decent lock-up units.
 
Back
Top Bottom