38 rimfire shorts... yeah....

nuckledragger

Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Sooooo..... I am looking for some 38 rimfire shorts.... I know, I know.... "it's easier to find chicken lips" ... anyone on here have a line on any or someone that could load some? Ideally I'd like 7.... but two would suffice.... any leads would be great. Thanks!
 
You can make cases using 38 Short Colt brass (only slightly easier to find). Use PTLs as the primer (often requires dumping the powder). For the 38 you'll probably have to offset which is challenging, or modify the firing pin (only if needed depending on your gun)

Never tried for 38 but with 32 Colt you can literally swage down the thicker 32 S&W (much easier to find) and thin the rim, sometimes turn the base a bit

Another option is to rebody a case since these are low pressure rounds, if you can get to a lathe.

Castboolits has a thread on the 38 in the Rimfire subforum and an EXCELLENT one on the 32RF in the same subforum. The principles are the same.

I shoot 32 RF and tried all of the above it does work, just a hobby in and of itself.
 
Last edited:
IIRC; one has to solder/braze in something where the primer was, then drill an offset hole for the 22 Ramset blank. It might have enough power with just the Ramset blank. But not for a beginner I'm thinking.
 
IIRC; one has to solder/braze in something where the primer was, then drill an offset hole for the 22 Ramset blank. It might have enough power with just the Ramset blank. But not for a beginner I'm thinking.

That makes sense in a .38 I don't think the firing pin will hit the rim enough if the PTL centered in that larger case, although some firing pins are pretty tall. For a .32 the Brown .22 PTL without any additional powder in my own offset cases drives a .32 calliber ball well into a 2x4 at 15 yards. Greens are too hot, I dump the powder from green and use it as a primer only with blackpowder.
 
Last edited:
there is a fellow cgner who makes the heeled bullets for the 38 and 32 .I have used both and he does a great job and fast.I have a ballard in 38 long rf/cf with a moveable firing pin .for brass it is the same as 38sp just trim to length ,,If this helps
cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom