38 Rimfire

Gunsmaniac

Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Location
Quebec
Hi guys! My father buy an antique Remington New model in 38rf, and I'm looking to see how make cadrige for this gun. How many grains of black powder must be used to make a safe load? And can I use black powder substitue like Pyrodex to load cadrige for this gun? What is the real size of the bullet? I have some .366 inch bullet, does they can doe the job?

Tank's
 
In order of the questions asked; I made my 38 rimfires on the lathe from solid brass. I used Hilti shells for a primer although 22 blanks will work just as well but require a different size hole. The hole for the primer almost certainly has to be off center unless the gun has a very wide blade for striking the cartridge. The cases hold relatively little powder and I think you don't need to worry about overloading with black powder. Pyrodex is supposed to have the same pressures per equivalent volume of black powder, You need to slug the bore as well as mike the chambers to decide on what the best size ball or bullet is for you

cheers mooncoon
 
thank you for your answer!
I see some people use 9mm flobert as a primer and to make the rim of the cadrige. http://38rimfire.########.ca/ What do you tink about this? Do you try it?
 
i hear people make them using .38 colt brass, just drilling out the back (little offset) to take .27cal hilti rounds. thats all i know, i dont know how much BP or anything though. just like for .32 rimfire.
 
I see some people use 9mm flobert as a primer and to make the rim of the cadrige. ?

I suspect that the 9mm shells might be large enough that you could center them. You probably need to have them sitting about .005 to .010" proud so that the firing pin blade does not use up energy on the parent cartridge. The down side is potential cost and availability of the 9mm shells

cheers mooncoon
 
I have a new box of Dominion .38 Short, the bullet Dia. on these is .374, to .375. Case is .85 long, .376 od, rim dia. is .434. Overall loaded length, 1.312. If that's any good to you. Good luck.
 
I have no 38 colt brass, but I have some 38 spl fired brass, and they have the same size of 38rf, except for de lenght. So I can cut them to have the right lenght. (tank's for your measure Oldiron)
9mm Flobert will be ward to find, but less than original 38 rf :)
The kit for reloading 38rf is interesting. I don't know if I can order directly to this web site?
 
I will make some call to try to find 9mm flobert.
If I don't find anything I will drill a offset hole in my brass to put a hilti round or a .22 blank
 
Back
Top Bottom