.38sp. Colt SAA FRT

Someone else with FRT database access can correct me, but Im pretty sure no FRT exists, as 38 special did not exist prior to 1898. Your gun would have the FRT of the original caliber (.41, .455 etc), allowing it to be classified as antique. This was how it was explained to me when I tried to convert a .45 Colt I had imported (and subsequently re-exported unconverted).
 
There should be a frt. there are guns that exist as .38 special antiques so they must have made a frt or some kind of entry for verification. The lab is still refusing to recognize conversions to non specified cals as antique, even though it appears to clearly state designed, or altered and able to discharge in the FA. Also you are able to import .38special antiques, 45acp, etc so they are BSing us on this matter.
 
The cartridge used would have been .38 Long Colt.

The case length would have been 1.031" as opposed to 1.155", or .124" (or 1/8") shorter.

I wonder though if .38 Special would still chamber in some of these old Colts?
 
I think you are missing the way they interpret it If the Revolver was originally Designed in a non antique caliber or adapted to shoot a non-antique caliber ie. on the no go list then they consider it to be a restricted or prohib firearm a antique FRT for a 38 special does not exist so unless you colt started its life ie. was designed as a antique in 44Russian or 41long Colt ETC. then the will say it was designed in a Restricted Cal.
 
I think you are missing the way they interpret it If the Revolver was originally Designed in a non antique caliber or adapted to shoot a non-antique caliber ie. on the no go list then they consider it to be a restricted or prohib firearm a antique FRT for a 38 special does not exist so unless you colt started its life ie. was designed as a antique in 44Russian or 41long Colt ETC. then the will say it was designed in a Restricted Cal.

They no longer deregister restricted caliber revolvers,but if it's not registered,an antique,and in a non-no go caliber you're good to go.
 
Question.
I haven't been here for a while. And there seems to be some confusion out there.
I have a .38sp SAA. Converted many years ago. Colt, and RCMP, lettered.
Still ok, as a prescribed antique?
Still ok to sell, if I wanted to?
 
Question.
I haven't been here for a while. And there seems to be some confusion out there.
I have a .38sp SAA. Converted many years ago. Colt, and RCMP, lettered.
Still ok, as a prescribed antique?
Still ok to sell, if I wanted to?

In regards to letters and "converted caliber antiques"

Yes you are fine technically. So is anyone else with a converted antique - once again technically. The RCMP changed it policy and interpretation of the antique laws but the law has not changed. The antique letter is not a requirement and the lab cannot say guns with letters = legal and those without are not. When I asked them for a letter for a pre 98 colt SAA in .38 special that started out in a no go caliber they said no "we don't have to give you a letter". They policy has changed. The lady said I can attempt to register it and they will decide. I said so if I attempt to register it will I get a letter like the rest of my guns like this or will you register it as a restricted. She said we will register it as a restricted. I said why don't I have to register my other antique Colts now (also converted to .38 special and were originally in a non antique caliber) with letters because of your policy change. She said those are fine I had them before the change and I have letters. I told her but the law has not changed only your internal policy regarding letters. How is one gun good with a non legally required letter and one is not. Silence. Sir, you can apply to register your gun if you want a letter. I said but you will register it as restricted correct. Yes was the answer again. End of conversation. I can't deal with non legal not logic from the RCMP lab. Basically if you got arrested by the wrong cop for having one of these without a letter and ended up in court it should be an easy case. That being said how much $ are you willing to risk in legal fees. The lab has created its own non legal subclass of antiques out of thin air - a non required RCMP letter making the difference. I surrender lol

After this happened while working with an importer there was a 3rd party antique Colt import. A pre 98 single action that started as a .45 (stamped .45 right on the frame) and was now in either .38 Special or .44 special I cant recall. We applied to register it - asking for antique status and sent many close up photos of the frame including the .45 marking. We didn't mislead or try to hide anything. Guess what, the lab lettered the gun. WTF??

Thoughts?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom