.
Today I attended the Woodstock, Ontario Gun Show. I spotted something across the room that I had only seen once before in Canada, though I had seen several at various times at U.S. Gun Shows. In over 60 plus years of gun shows, I had to take a closer look.
It was a rifle from a bygone era, a time when men shot standing, offhand, without supports, with a rifle of about 13 pounds weight, at a target 40 rods away. 40 rods distance is 220 yards. You had to fully support the rifle, and even resting the elbow of the hand holding the forestock on your hip was not allowed.
This rifle, when made, was GUARANTEED to shoot 2 1/2 inch groups. A 2 1/2 inch group is fairly attainable with todays rifles from a bench rest, or even prone, but try it standing while holding a 13 pound rifle.
It was built on an 1885 Winchester high wall single shot action, with double set triggers. A palm rest hung down below the rifle at about the balance point, and a false muzzle with ram rod was attached to the front of the barrel. The bullet, in this case a 32-40 calibre lead multi grooved projectile was loaded from the muzzle and rammed down the barrel, the false muzzle removed, and a single case was inserted into the chamber to fire it. A pinhead front sight and a rear tang sight that was adjustable for elevation and windage was attached to the rifle.
Unfortunately I did not take a picture of this rifle. The Gun Show sign at the door said "No Cameras Allowed" so I respected that policy. However a small picture from the internet will give an idea of this type, made by the same maker.
On the barrel was stamped the name of one of the finest rifle barrel maker of the time. ......... H.M. Pope
.
Today I attended the Woodstock, Ontario Gun Show. I spotted something across the room that I had only seen once before in Canada, though I had seen several at various times at U.S. Gun Shows. In over 60 plus years of gun shows, I had to take a closer look.
It was a rifle from a bygone era, a time when men shot standing, offhand, without supports, with a rifle of about 13 pounds weight, at a target 40 rods away. 40 rods distance is 220 yards. You had to fully support the rifle, and even resting the elbow of the hand holding the forestock on your hip was not allowed.
This rifle, when made, was GUARANTEED to shoot 2 1/2 inch groups. A 2 1/2 inch group is fairly attainable with todays rifles from a bench rest, or even prone, but try it standing while holding a 13 pound rifle.
It was built on an 1885 Winchester high wall single shot action, with double set triggers. A palm rest hung down below the rifle at about the balance point, and a false muzzle with ram rod was attached to the front of the barrel. The bullet, in this case a 32-40 calibre lead multi grooved projectile was loaded from the muzzle and rammed down the barrel, the false muzzle removed, and a single case was inserted into the chamber to fire it. A pinhead front sight and a rear tang sight that was adjustable for elevation and windage was attached to the rifle.
Unfortunately I did not take a picture of this rifle. The Gun Show sign at the door said "No Cameras Allowed" so I respected that policy. However a small picture from the internet will give an idea of this type, made by the same maker.
On the barrel was stamped the name of one of the finest rifle barrel maker of the time. ......... H.M. Pope
.
Last edited:


















































