.401 Self-Loader Model 1910

smellie

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Location
rural manitoba
Don't know if this is the right place to do this or not, but I thought that this info was something that should be passed on.

If this has come up previously, will somebody kindly bury this for me? Thanks.

The way it happened was like this: chap showed up at my door a few days ago and he REALLY wanted to know where he could find some 7.62x39 brass, or a casing, or even a single cartridge.... anything at all, just so long as it was 7.62x39. I looked through the junk bin and came up with one (1) round of Starline brass, hunted out a couple of Czech rounds and gave them to him.

I asked what he needed them for (I know he has no use for anything made since about 1950, being even worse than me in this regard) and he told me that they were for his 1910 Winchester .401 Self-Loader.

Seems somebody had told him that you could use the x39 brass in the old Self-Loader. So I got out CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD to search this out, being that I have only a mere .351 Self-Loader myself. The x39 is VERY nearly a perfect conversion for the .401 Self-Loader, at least going by the book.

I will REALLY have to try this out some time, but I think I need a rifle for that, first.

If this info can help anyone, they are welcome to it!

Have fun!
 
For those who maybe of interest ,The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions lists the following for the .401 Winchester :

Case Preparation
Make From:9.3 X72R .Turn rim to .457" dia. and back chamfer.Cut case to 1.55" and taper expand to .410" dia.Trim to length and size in .401 die with the expander removed.I.D. neck ream.Chamfer and F/L size.Fireform in chamber.

Loading Data
Bullet Weight 200,Powder Weight 31.0 Powder 4227,Velocity 2100,Source Barnes.
 
I wonder if you could make it from .220 Swift as well?

Right now, I'm using Swift (which also is semi-rimmed) brass to make up Carcano and Arisaka both....... and all the old WCC Carcano brass disappeared to make 7.62x39........ same base diameter, close enough.... so why not make the 401 out of it also?

Granted, you won't get the rim right, but something is better than nothing at all... and there is a definite shortage of 9.3x72R in this neck of the woods.

Just trying to help.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom