.41 Long Colt Article, Part I, is up: Got it to shoot 1 1/2" at 25 yards.

Ardent

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
818   0   2
Having a fantastic time with my .41, it is capable of far more than I imagined. Hope you enjoy the read folks.

http://blog.morrisonarms.com



841052c9.jpg

6f56560a.jpg

f6ec5276.jpg
 
Looks like you got yourself a very accurate gun/load combination. Nice photo of firing! First class write-up. Much appreciated.
 
Hope work wasn't too rough this morning. ;) Same habit myself, night owl.

I picked this .41 up for what I thought was a steal, and it has all original screws that haven't been turned. I like .41's because they typically have had "easy" lives. It's a low pressure, soft-lead bulleted cartridge, with a relatively small case head size and thus breach face pressure, and ammunition has been generally unavailable for numerous decades. All in all, I find most .41's to be on average tighter guns than other larger chambering antique SAA's. I also have the peace of mind of knowing the frame has in all likelihood had an extremely gentle service life. This all sums up to meaning a good .41 SAA is my pick as cream of the crop in antique Colts. I'd been looking for this SAA for about eight years.
 
Great article..

I might try that load in a Thunderer..

That would be far beyond its capabilities, for your own safety and gun's health, I wouldn't go anything near. Even my SAA is weak, all antiques are, but Thunderers, 1889's and antique 1892's et al are incredibly fragile. It would be a grenade that might not let go the first, fifth, or even fiftieth time- but it will at some point.
 
Those "oddball" Colt cartridges in the SAA have always interested me (.41, .44), glad you put in the time on that one. Also interested to see how Trail Boss is performing for you in that .41, as I've been playing around with Trail Boss in my .44 mag, .45 Colt, .45-70 and most recently, in my original .45-90. It's becoming my favourite.

Work wasn't too bad this morning. Long days all round!
 
Back
Top Bottom