.41 Long Colt - just a question

GMoon

Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hello Nut'z, I have been loading .41 Long (and Short) Colt with the heal style bullet over a full case (drop tube method) and slight compression of 25 grains volume 3Fg Goex and everything has been working great (1892, 1878 and New Line Colt - (.41 Short Colt and less powder), revolvers). A buddy just picked up an antique 1892 Colt in .41 Long Colt and it came with some supplied hollow based bullets. We measured the bullet diameter and length and came up with about 21-22 grains of usable case space (Starline brass). Now, with the heal base bullet I use, there is no air space between the bullet and BP, but with the hollow base bullet there would be a fair amount of air in the bullet cavity which I understand is not too good with BP. We volume measured the BP and droped the powed down the tube and covered it with a milk carton wad to remove the air gap between the BP and heal bullet. I have heard of other fillers (corn meal, coton wading, etc.) but is what we have done an acceptable practice too. The other question would be, is smokeless powder (Bullseye, Unique or other) an option in this round or antique type firearm. Thank you in advance for any help and advise you may have.
 
I use 4.5 grains of Unique behind a 195 gr HB cast out of a Bernie's Old West mold. Shoots high as the recoil impulse is kicking in before the slower bullet leaves the bbl.
I've ran about 17 grains of FFg with Corn meal as filler and the Unique load is much more sedate to shoot. But the small charge might be position sensitive, I'm just not picky enough to notice the difference.
I've been told that the fast charge will set up the HB into the bbl diameter nicely.
Seems to work for me anyhow.
 
If the question is in regards to safety, should be fine. I have had zero problems with hollow bases and used hollow base in addition to heeled bullets when I shot 41LC. I still switch back and forth between various guns chambered in 44 russian depending on what I'm trying to do. If you're really concerned put a little cotton wool or other non-granular filler in the base of the bullet before loading.

From an accuracy point of view I'm not really sure what the extra room in the case will do. I found my POI shifted between heeled bullets and hollow base, however how much and to where depended on the gun as well. Some shot one better than the other etc etc... so kindof one of those things you need to play around with. I'm not much of a pistol target shooter so as long as it's safe and I can hit what I want to I'm pretty happy usually :p
 
I seem to have the best luck with 2.7 grains of Bullseye (the best powder and load for my 38 Special 148 grain wade cutters) followed by 4.5 - 4.7 grains Unique.

IM000909.jpg


41LongColtSpecs-1.jpg
 
I never bothered with a filler when I shot .41 Colt hollow base bullets and blackpowder. I pulled a bullet once to see and the inside of the hollow was pockmarked by the powder.

To figure out how much volume I had I drilled out the primer hole on a case an dribbled in powder from the end with the bullet in place, then for my load I added a couple grains to make sure I got some compression and no air space. I was using Starline brass and a 185gr Rapine cast hollow base bullet but I forget the charge of blackpowder. For smokeless I used 4.4gr Unique then changed to 5.4gr Ramshot True Blue.

I would not use smokeless in the New Line; I was only comfortable with blackpowder in mine based on the age and cylinder wall thickness.
 
Thanks for the great info. I guess the gest of my question was safety. Placing the little milk carton disk between the BP and the hollow base of the bullet is good to go. I've never tried anything other than BP (and heel base bullets) in the antiques I listed earlier and I wouldn't consider going smokeless in the little New Line. We just want to safely use up the new hollow bullets and see how they perfom and to see if Unique or similar powder is an option down the road (BP is fun to shoot... just not so much fun during the cleaning portion).
 
Back
Top Bottom