410 steel

emmab

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Location
Vancouver B.C.
I don't know if its that I live on the West Coast but I can't find steel .410 anywhere(now that I bought the only box in existence from Italian). Anybody ever look for this stuff? Buddy is bringing his boy with his 410 out after migratory waterfowl and this ammo doesn't live here. Any info would be appreciated. Cheers
 
I don't know if its that I live on the West Coast but I can't find steel .410 anywhere(now that I bought the only box in existence from Italian). Anybody ever look for this stuff? Buddy is bringing his boy with his 410 out after migratory waterfowl and this ammo doesn't live here. Any info would be appreciated. Cheers

Please don't take this the wrong way but it doesn't exist here since it is way too light for hunting waterfowl. It would be like you moose hunting with a 22 mag.
Hunting with a 410 is difficult enough add steel shot and all you will see is wounded birds.The box you found was probally produced for clays shooting in an area where only steel shot is allowed.
Any way you can find a 20ga for the young guy to use, even that it is hard to find steel shot in canada for but you will. :)
 
Believe Winchester makes a steel shot .410 load.They make one for the 28 gauge.Purchased four boxes of 28 gauge steel a couple of years ago from ,I believe it was LeBaron.Never have had a chance to try them out as of yet.
 
Winchester makes it, but it has several problems for shooting waterfowl. Firstly, its a wounder. 410 does not have the pellet concentration, nor distance to knock down tough waterfowl birds. Even the 3 inch magnums only hold just over 3/4 oz of shot, which is probably closer to half of what is generally used or recommended.

Secondly, a .410 has an inherent problem of pellet collision and stress at the choke because of its small bore diameter, when using large steel shot for migratory birds such as #2 and #4. The steel shot has no give with large pellets, where the lead ones are soft and have lots of give. In simple terms, it will damage/bulge your barrel in a short time. 7, 7 1/2, and 8 steel shot will not harm your gun because of small diameter shot, but 5, 4, 2, will.

The general rule for shooting steel shot, is to open up your choke by one increment. Even if your .410 choke is interchangeable to adapt to large waterfowl size shot, you will have so few pellets that there will be not enough concentration to properly knock down a decent bird, but instead only wound it.


I use my .410 for partridge and grouse. For small delicate birds at reasonably close ranges, it is very effective. For pheasants, ducks and geese, its an ineffective wounder. I use a 12 or 20 gauge for these birds. For a youngster to start shooting, light loads in a 12 or 20 are many times more effective than the hottest and largest .410 loads.


But watch, this where someone chimes in and claims they have been shooting geese all their lives with a .410 and it drops them every time. f:P:
 
A .410 with steel shot would be the most frustrating choice possible with which to introduce a young shooter to water fowling. The sure range would be limited to 20 yards or less. Ammo availability is poor for a very good reason. Very few people would consider it appropriate.
 
With all due disrespect for the 410 shotshell. I would never own a 410 for hunting out of respect for the game I hunt.

Probably a good gun for the kids to play and learn for target practice, maybe shooting slugs would be fun at 25 yards?

For the price of a 410 gun and ammo, I'd be looking at a 20 ga minimum for hunting birds. Just my humble opinion.:D
 
But watch, this where someone chimes in and claims they have been shooting geese all their lives with a .410 and it drops them every time. f:P:

Im waiting for someone to chime in and say the 410 is for experts only.Laugh2

I laugh my f;in ass off every time i hear some freak claim to be an expert with a 410 shotgun in the field.
 
Back
Top Bottom