43 Mauser

nbmonte

Regular
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Location
New Brunswick
I originally thought I'd be posting this in the milsup forum. I picked up a 43 Mauser on the weekend that had belonged to my great uncle. He served in WW2 and I've heard stories about his german mauser since I was a kid. I was thinking/hoping I had stumbled into a vet bringback k98 or something similar. I wasn't even aware of the 71/84 until
last saturday.

The rifles spent the last 30 years in my grandmothers attic and then her barn, and it kinda shows. The buttplate suffered the most and has some serious rust. All in all though its not in terrible shape and I'm looking forward to putting a few rounds downrange with it. Its numbers matching, I'm amazed at the number of peices they stamped a number onto back then. It needs some tlc and a good cleaning.

I know its been sportered, but I'm not convinced the nosecap ever had a stacking rod. The serial number is still clearly visable on it and I can't see any sign of anything being hacked off.

And now for a few pics.

DSC_4174.jpg

DSC_4178.jpg

DSC_4180.jpg

DSC_4183.jpg

DSC_4185.jpg

DSC_4184.jpg

DSC_4187.jpg

DSC_4189.jpg

DSC_4193.jpg

DSC_4194.jpg


Some of the proofs don't show up very well and there are a few more on the stock I forgot about. All in all I'm happy with it.

Thanks to everyone who shared reloading info and I'm sure I'll have a few more questions.

Mark
 
Cool old Mauser and with a bit of TLC and old fashioned elbow grease that rifle will probably clean up quite nicely.The stock appears to have some nice figure in it from what I can see.We have a Model 71 43 Mauser single shot that has been in my family since the 30's.It shoots just fine and it is one of my all-time favourite guns.I'd never part with it.
 
Back
Top Bottom