44-40 ammo

Glyn

Regular
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Sault, ON
Can anyone recommend any places to buy 44-40 online in Canada? I have one local place that sells it, but they charge the earth for it and really soak you for any oddball calibres.
 
The cost of factory .44/40 ammo makes reloading this caliber one of the biggest money savers, as it performs very well with cast bullets and minimal charges of Trail Boss powder.
 
The cost of factory .44/40 ammo makes reloading this caliber one of the biggest money savers, as it performs very well with cast bullets and minimal charges of Trail Boss powder.

That's for sure. In that calibre you'd probably pay for your reloading equipment in the first year alone.

The Bullet Barn sells cast bullets for .44-40 for $66 for 500. Not sure what brass costs, but for my .45 Colt it's pretty cheap and last a long time, I imagine it'd be comparable. It'll eat hardly any powder too.

Definitely worth thinking about. If you don't want to reload, try and find some cowboy action shooters. They'll be able to point you to a source I'm sure. Those guys generally go through a lot of ammo :D

Chris.
 
I'm going to have to look into reloading it I think. But seeing as I don't have any brass kicking around (don't ask) I'll have to buy a box of factory loads for now, unless I can get a good deal on the brass as well.

Time for some research.

:)

Thanks for the suggestions.
 
"...reloading this caliber..." Supposedly a somewhat difficult cartridge to load due to the thin brass. Not impossible, of course.
"...don't have any brass..." Shooter's Choice, in Waterloo, list Remington brass at $22.95 per 50. Listed under rifle brass. Uses an RCBS #35 shell holder. Lots of data on-line. Listed under 'Obsolete' on Accurate's site. One bullet weight under CA on Alliant's. Rifle and revolver loads on Hodgdon's. Don't mix 'em. Pressures are the same, but velocities are not.
No listing for loaded ammo. They might have it though.
Ammo for odd or less than popular cartridges is always pricey.
 
Being in SSM you can stop by Perry's Great Northern Gun and Bow Shop. They're on Great Northern Road across from Petro Canada. Hwy 17 North if you like... They stock .44-40 at an average Canadian price. Also, they'll get you dies if you wish to start loading. I expect that they'll order brass for you if you like. I believe star-line sells 500 for around $100 USD plus shipping. If you ask really nicely Marty might know of some used brass around. Enjoy your .44!

Jim
 
Perry's stocks .44 WCF from Remington, which will be priced similarily to other Canadian shops (somewhere around $55 a box). If you're ok with slower ammo, they may have Winchester Cowboy loads which sell for roughly half the cost.

Remember that if you buy it through the mail, that ammo is relatively heavy and can only be shipped in limited ways (factor this into your price). Also, if we don't support local shops, they won't be there to get us parts, service, or sells us great guns.

On the other hand, you might head down I 75 to ###lord and import some from the giant shop there.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom