I am in the process of getting ready for the first CAS event of the season, a two day shoot in Prince George. Since I intend to shoot "Frontiersman", that means cap & ball revolvers and BP in my long guns.
In the past I loaded 35 grs FFg in my 44-40 cases with 200 gr RNFP's, but since I was using the bullet to compress the powder, that resulted in several case bulges. Not wanting to compress the powder with a die (too lazy) I reduced the charge to 33 grs. That helped, but there was still the occasional bulge. Not a problem with my lever action .44's, but some would not chamber in my 44-40 Remington conversions.
Further reducing the charge to 30 grs resulted in NO case bulging and 3/16" powder compression. I know I'm 'gaming' here, but after casting, sizing, lubing and all the hassle of loading 44-40 bottle neck cases, any reduction in labour is worth it.
"If someone lets you shoot his BP cartridge guns with bullets he cast/sized/lubed, etc., he really likes you." anonymous BP CAS
In the past I loaded 35 grs FFg in my 44-40 cases with 200 gr RNFP's, but since I was using the bullet to compress the powder, that resulted in several case bulges. Not wanting to compress the powder with a die (too lazy) I reduced the charge to 33 grs. That helped, but there was still the occasional bulge. Not a problem with my lever action .44's, but some would not chamber in my 44-40 Remington conversions.
Further reducing the charge to 30 grs resulted in NO case bulging and 3/16" powder compression. I know I'm 'gaming' here, but after casting, sizing, lubing and all the hassle of loading 44-40 bottle neck cases, any reduction in labour is worth it.
"If someone lets you shoot his BP cartridge guns with bullets he cast/sized/lubed, etc., he really likes you." anonymous BP CAS


















































