.44 caliber Brescia Kentuckian

recoil

Member
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I now have one of these and have a couple of questions for those of you more knowledgeable than I

This was used regularly 20 years ago and has been stored well. little rusting on the nipple and the bore looks pretty good.

I'm going to give it a good scrub and am wondering

1. what would be a good safe starting load for this ?

2 there are two sets of balls for this, one set hand cast juuuuuuuuuuuust fits into the bore, won't really roll in it but can be dislodged with a sharp rap downwards. they average .337. it's evident that these have been used regularly in the rifle.


old blue jean patching that is in the pouch, greased up looks to make a tight fit.


the second set is store bought, marked as .44 but is .358 in diameter and looks like a TIGHT fit all on it's own. How tight should the ball be?

thoughts and advice?
 
Well no expert but I'd say it ain't a .44.
Someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in but...clean it good, go with a thin patch and I'd go over about 20-25 grn of FFFg
 
Lyman BP handbook for 36 Calibre with a 28" barrel and 1-48" twist gives;
round ball Dia. 0.350,
Wt. 36gr.,
patch 0.010" Ox-Yoke pre- lubed,
cap CCI#11
powder Goex FFg, 30-70 gr,
powder Goex FFFg, 30-70gr,
 
Is there no stamping on the barrel indicating the actual calibre? As tokguy says - a rifle that takes a .337 ball is no .44!

In Sam Fadala's book "Black Powder Loading Manual" he tests several .36 cal rifles and they all take a .350 diam round ball with a .015 patch and from 20 to 50 grs of FFFg powder.

The ball with a lubed patch should go down the bore with a bit of resistance. It can't be too tight that you have hammer it down. Remember that after a few shots you have powder fouling to contend with. You don't want to have to clean after every shot.
 
nope, marked clearly .44 caliber, and double checked the hand cast balls, all .337+-. found the guide to markings for Brescia, it's marked ### which translates to 1974 as year of proof. (maybe it's like your clothes, -- you know store them in a closet for several years and then you find they shrunk.) I appreciate the help. Always know I can get it on CGN. I located the mould that was used to make the balls so I am able to make more. I appreciate the thoughts on loads as well -- I'll start at the bottom.

cheers
 
Sounds cool, she probly is a 44, but with a thick patch pushing from all sides you can only get a 337 down there.

Put a picture up kinda before and after, I bet with some doing you can make her a real looker!
 
Back
Top Bottom