.44 Cartridge ID help

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
I am wondering what to feed an American Bulldog, either an Ivor Johnson or H&R. (Has a Dog on grips).
Cyl. length 1.40.. Chamber Dia .458.. Throat Dia .429.. Case length .90.. Bore .424.. Thanks, Bill...
 
I think its .44 webley but may be actuall .44 bulldog. I'd presume you could cut down .44 special brass and load it with a cast bullet and black powder.

Hopefully someone else with more experience has a better idea.
 
Got the same issue myself actually.

I'm going to go with a Elmer Keith style semi-wad sized to .427. .44SPL Win brass trimmed down with a little splash of Unique in it. Going to tie 'er to a tree and see what happens ;)

Funny these Bulldogs have such narrow bores. I was expecting the stated .436...

Pretty sure that is a .44 Webley the OP has. I don't believe the .44 Bull has a .90 case length. Almost positive its shorter, could be wrong though.
 
So I added the rim thickness of a .44 Russian, .060, and everything matches to the Russian cartridge. Sounds like quite a hand-full in a short Bulldog.
Anyone heard of or tryed one? Sounds like fun, unless it's not. Thanks.
 
Be careful using .44 russian, some american bulldog chambers are just slightly shorter but would allow a crimped round to seat all the way with the crimp sitting in the throat slightly; this could cause an obstruction. Best would be to check if new empty unsized cases will seat all the way, in all 6 chambers. If it says 'AMERICAN BULLDOG' on it it is an iver johnson / johnson & bye product.
 
There's a .38 Bulldog with an Oct barrel in a safe at an older gentlemans place that I know. It's centerfire; and in need of repair. Are these Bulldogs worth the trouble or are they valueable because of their antique status ( if applicable obviously ) only?
 
It has to be a .380 center fire or .38 rimfire and must have been manufactured before 1898 in order to be on the antique status.

.38 center fire is on the no go list... hard to find parts anyway, likely have to repair/hand make them.
 
I've read about the antique loophole.
What I'm wondering about is if they are worth messing with if they are 12(6); or should they be parted out to help a .38 RF live again?
It isn't in working cond. right now. I'm guessing if it's CF it's not worth the trouble, correct?
 
I've read about the antique loophole.
What I'm wondering about is if they are worth messing with if they are 12(6); or should they be parted out to help a .38 RF live again?
It isn't in working cond. right now. I'm guessing if it's CF it's not worth the trouble, correct?

If it is an antique caliber but registered as a prohib it would be worth deregistering. Lots of those bulldogs were chambered as .380 revolver...
 
Back
Top Bottom