.44 Evans Value?

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
I'm thinking of selling or trade for an old handgun, but there isn't much info as to values. This is in nice shape, bore is as new. It is the .44 one inch case, so holds 34 cartridges. (a limited market, but few guns)
Any ideas on values ? Thanks, Bill...
Evans1.jpg
 
That is a really beautiful and unique firearm. The rotary magazine is simply brilliant. 34 rounds of basically 44 special in such a well thought out rifle in the 1870s! To see a list of the customers who purchased the 1000 or so rifles would be very interesting!

I think anyone would be happy to put that in thier collection, what a hoot at the gravel pit with light loads and a trunk full of bean cans!

Is that the original barrel? Do the rifling and magazine mechanism look at good as the overally rifle? I bet you get a PM on this one.
 
That is a really beautiful and unique firearm. The rotary magazine is simply brilliant. 34 rounds of basically 44 special in such a well thought out rifle in the 1870s! To see a list of the customers who purchased the 1000 or so rifles would be very interesting!

I think anyone would be happy to put that in thier collection, what a hoot at the gravel pit with light loads and a trunk full of bean cans!

Is that the original barrel? Do the rifling and magazine mechanism look at good as the overally rifle? I bet you get a PM on this one.

Hi David. Original all over. 95% blue on barrel, better on the inside. Thin blue on the reciever, they had some casting system for the reciever and mag tube, in left and right halves, that didn't blue well. Maybe 30% nickle on lever and butt plate.
I have no need to open this gun up, but I think there is only two springs. Hammer and trigger. No mag. spring even.
The slide on the elevating sight is missing.
Bill Cody owned one, in the 1.5 inch case. I think they only held 28 cartridges. You'd need them all to put a buffalo down.
Bill...
 
Yeah I think they got 1200 fps with a 280 grain bullet in the 1.5 inch case! Pretty much worth while giving up the extra 6 in the magazine.

That is an amazingly well preserved specimen. I am just heading out for a few days which is a good thing or I'd be 1800 poorer by this afternoon.

Hope someone in Canada grabs it before it ends up in Texas LOL.

THanks for sharing.

EDIT just read Dingus's post, sounds like the second best judge of guns on CGN beat me to it LOL
 
So did it find a new owner? Be pretty cool if the new owner would share some pics of the magazine mechanism. Dingus?
 
I agree ben, If that was a modern arm in 44 special and featured a tactical black synthetic stock it would be flooded with buyers.

I just found a Evans collectors website and the more I look at the design the more certain I am that the Dentist was a a very smart engineer.

Once the kids are done spending all my toy money on silliness like food, clothes and education a minty 44 evans is on my shopping list. Old iron can you hold it for a decade give or take a few years?
 
Back
Top Bottom