.44 Mag.

LawrenceN

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
248   0   0
WTF? I went to LeBaron Outdoor sporting good to pick up some ammo. Now granted, the .44 mag. doesn't get a lot of use, but last year it was about $27.50/box. It was now almost double!! I did a double take when the bill came to $94.00 for 2 boxes. Almost $1.00 per round? When did this happen? Anyone know a source for that isn't so pricey? It was the Winchester, btw.
 
You needed to look around to find some that was in stock that the price hadn't been updated. I am glad to have a large cache here as I wouldn't want to pay those prices. Firearms people are being victimized by the ammo companies ....AND...the retail dealers. Reload. Dave
 
You should consider investing in some reloading equipment. You could pick up most of the basic equipment you would need to reload for a bit more money than you paid for 2 boxes of ammo.
 
Best to reload. It costs me $0.316/round shooting 240 grn CFP Win296 powder at 1313fps out of a 6' revolver.

I am sure some people can reload for less here as well. Besides cost, I don't have to go to LeBaron and listen to the "it's coming in" or " it's at the border" line all the time. Then pay the $1/round when it does "come in".

sincerely,
 
I don't get why ammo prices keep rising. They blame it on the price of metals mostly but everyone I check with has said metal prices have been dropping. Some has been demand for the wars going on but that should only affect military calibers. I do reload with a single stage press but if this keeps up I may go progressive.
 
WTF? I went to LeBaron Outdoor sporting good to pick up some ammo. Now granted, the .44 mag. doesn't get a lot of use, but last year it was about $27.50/box. It was now almost double!! I did a double take when the bill came to $94.00 for 2 boxes. Almost $1.00 per round? When did this happen? Anyone know a source for that isn't so pricey? It was the Winchester, btw.


Their web-site says $ 23.54 / box for "standard" Winchester.
(X44MHSP2)

What did they sell you, the "premium" Partition Gold or Platinum Tips ??? (S44PTHP) (S44MP)

For consideration: Premium Nosler Partition Gold 240 gr. bullets,
by themselves, are just over $ 1 a piece !
 
Their web-site says $ 23.54 / box for "standard" Winchester.
(X44MHSP2)

What did they sell you, the "premium" Partition Gold or Platinum Tips ??? (S44PTHP) (S44MP)

For consideration: Premium Nosler Partition Gold 240 gr. bullets,
by themselves, are just over $ 1 a piece !

I think he is talking about loaded ammo
 
The price wasn't for the bullets only, it was Winchester factory made ammo, 240 gr. jacketed soft point. I've tried different reloads out of the Ruger .44 carbine and that rifle is REALLY finicky about what it will digest and still cycle. The factory ammo worked the best of anything I tried, even the most meticulous reloads, and so I decided to stay with the factory stuff and maybe stockpile a few boxes. Now I have a serious re-think about even keeping the carbine unless I can find someone who won't hose me so badly. One would have thought they'd have had the grace to kiss me before shafting me.
 
I just bought to boxes od UMC 180gr JSP (100 rounds) in the EE for $60 shipped. $30 a box isn't to bad. the best I have seen in gun stores is $39 for a box of american Eagle.
 
Wolf Bullets sells re-manufactured .44 Magnum for $411.20/1000 for 240 grain lead SWC and $469.20 for 240 grain JHP. There is a credit of $80/1000 if you have brass to supply.

.44 Magnum is definitely one calibre where substantial cost savings can be realised through reloading. I think it would be very expensive to shoot factory ammo enough to become proficient. Reloading also gives you the option of different power levels. For example, you can load both light .44 Special level plinking loads and full power loads, or anything in between.
 
The price ... was Winchester factory made ammo, 240 gr. jacketed soft point.

As stated, their catalog/internet price is $ 23.54.

You got screwed at the cash register if what you bought is Winchester's standard 240 grain Hollow Soft Points in 44 mag.
The box code is X44MHSP2.

Winchester does not currently load any other 240 gr. jacketed soft point load. Their only other 44 Mag loads are the 210 gr. Silvertip HP and the
250 gr. Partition Gold.

Take your ammo & cash register receipt back ... with a print-out of their Winchester ammo web page and/or catalog & make a stink ! You should have paid a maximum of $ 53.20 including tax.
 
Primer - 3.5 cents
Powder - 4.5 cents
Cast bullet - I count as zero since I have a decade's worth of lead and all my casting stuff bought
Brass - Had a bunch, and bought a bunch more quite a while back. 44 mag brass seems to last forever.

Total cost /50 rounds is $4.00

I cast 240 grain round nose and they go through my lever action just fine until they've been fired.....oh......20 or more times. Then the heads start to spread a bit and I use them in my revolver. You're not a member of the Burlington club by chance are you ??? You could try a few of my home brews and see how they cycle.
 
Back
Top Bottom