I sold my .44 for the cost of ammo reason. It wasn't worth the money for new ammo and not realy worth the time and material reloading for the amount of bullets it saw.Does anybody know were to get cheep amo for plinking???????
I don't want to hijack this thread, and most of the info is good for a new .44 shooter, esp. saving money reloading and using cast bullets to save money. I do object to the idea that cast bullets are for plinking loads and jacketed are for full power loads. This is a popular misconception as the very stoutest loads, meant for the largest of species are usually heavy cast bullet loads, using bullets of 300grains or more and large charges of H-110. The LBT designs of WFN and LFN usually gas checked, and heavy for cal. will bring the most out of your .44, certainly more then lighter jacketed loads. As a side note, ballistic pressure test equip. has shown that cast bullets are capable of higher velocity at lower pressure then jacketed bullets in these big bore rounds.
You've heard this before I'm sure but reloading and the 44MAG go hand in hand.
I can reload a box of 50 for 12 to 13 dollars. Those are hard cast lead and loaded for "plinking"
The big boys with JHP and H110 behind them run about double for the same amount mainly due to the cost of the JHP's
Using a plated bullet would drop the costs and still allow some stout loads.
Does anybody know were to get cheep amo for plinking???????
Does anybody know were to get cheep amo for plinking???????
I don't want to hijack this thread, and most of the info is good for a new .44 shooter, esp. saving money reloading and using cast bullets to save money.
I can reload a box of 50 for 12 to 13 dollars. Those are hard cast lead and loaded for "plinking"
I don't know where you buy supplies but I am reloading jacketed full power loads for about 0.25 cents a piece. That is obviously not including the cost of brass.
Powder - 2400 @ 20 gr/round = 10 cents/round ($30/pound)
Primers - winchester - 4 cents/round ($40/1000)
Bullets - Jacketed Flat Point = 19 cents/round ($80/500)
I don't know where you buy supplies but I am reloading jacketed full power loads for about 0.25 cents a piece. That is obviously not including the cost of brass.
Powder - 2400 @ 20 gr/round = 10 cents/round ($30/pound)
Primers - winchester - 4 cents/round ($40/1000)
Bullets - Jacketed Flat Point = 19 cents/round ($80/500)
Your costs don't add up. I'm seeing 10+4+19=33 cents a round. Or is the 25 cents a round based on your own cast bullets and gas checks vs buying jacketed bullets?
Plus if you don't want to spend extra $ for H110, you can make nice Target loads with Titegroup or 231 or any other popular powder. They aren't full Bubba loads but still feel almost like a .45 in a revolver.
As for the topic of this thread... where to find cheap 44 Magnum ammo... it's more like find ANY 44 Magnum ammo these days for factory fresh stuff.![]()
Last weekend I was shooting 8.2gr. of 231 behind the Keith 245gr. SWC and it was a nice load. Definitely hotter than any .45ACP I have shot, but that is what a .44 Mag is for, isn't it?...




























