44 russian load data

tigertrout

Regular
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Anyone got a nice light 44 russian load for an old smith and wesson new model 3. I have shot off a couple of boxes of the ten X stuff and it shoots real good, now I have some brass and want to reload some at a little cheaper price. Oh and another question do I need special dies for 44 Russian or can i use 44 special dies...../?

thanks Sean
 
Die sets are very inexpensive and their molds are also a good value. Don't forget to get a resizing die too, for an extra couple of bucks it helps in reloading and improves accuracy.
 
Last edited:
I just chronoed 3.9 grain trailboss load using a 200 grain swc in russian brass, got average of 690 ft/second. I would say this is the uppper limit of this round and is equivalant power factor to a similar black powder round I tried with approximately 21 grain fff black powder(pretty much starline case capacity maximum - 0.2 inches for the bullet seat, no compression). Incidentally accuracy was similar with smokeless or black.
 
3.5 grains of Hodgdon Titegroup gives the lowest pressure according to their online data sheet. I have used it in both my No. 3 Smiths with no ill effects. Nice mild load.
 
Back
Top Bottom