.44 special in a 44 Russian model one

ConnorBaldwin

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a s&w44 Russian model one I was told I can fire 44 special wadcutters and cowboy loads in my.revolver is this true? I never tried hand loading the equipment looks too expensive lol
 
Do you mean a first model 3 smith? Model one is a .22....
.44 special is longer than .44 Russian so I doubt it would fit. And second that ammo would be loaded on the hot side since a model 3 would be proofed for black powder.
.44 Russian can be loaded with smokeless, but must be done carefully to keep pressures at or below BP specs.

I think more details are required on the gun.

Please do not jam incorrect factory ammo in an antique. You could probably sell it and buy a damn nice modern revolver!
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't unless you reload with light loads of specific powders, black hills sells 44 Russian cowboy loads, some sponsors carry it or can get it in for you, don't take the chance of ruining a nice old piece and maybe blowing your hand or face off!
Oh yes I believe western metal is putting in an order for fiocci and they have .44 Russian however I think it is hotter than the black hills, if dingus is around, he can say which is better, I have only used black hills so far and am setting up too reload. Jethunter is another guy who may be able to guide you!
 
So basically you bought a 1600$ revolver, but 400$ worth of reloading gear is too expensive to ensure it works safely?

I personally wouldn't fire any modern ammo through a black powder gun, unless it was certified for those black powder guns. Taking ammo that is the wrong caliber to begin with and shooting it through a black powder revolver, just sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
 
Thanks for the feed back. I grew up with guns so I figured that it was sorta bs I knew with work you can resize cartridges for other guns but to drop it right in I was skeptical lol, I was looking on the Internet for the year and all that the serial number is 35774 and it has may 11 and 25 1880 is the most recent days on the barrel it looks to have a s&w trade mark stamp, she also has nice pearl handles. As for getting a restricted pistol I live hours from any range that is licensed restricted, and a collector license let the cops come to my house when ever to check my stuff(says so on the rcmp site) and I am a classical libertarian so I don't like invasion into my privacy lol
 
Not a big job to load for the 44R.

You could buy a 44spl or 44mag Lee Loader and shorten it so the roll crimp works.

You could use real BP or a smokeless load and ensure low pressures.

For under $100 you could be set up to load yer own safe ammo for that old iron.
 
Does anybody know a good place to pick up reloading tools for a reasonable price? Every where I have looked it was like 500 plus for dies and presses and molds, is there things I can substitute to ease cost? Never reloaded before lol
 
Well, one thing you can do is build your own tumbler. I have seen some interesting ones on youtube built with large glass pickle jars, some rollers, a belt and powered by an electric drill. other than that, collecting free wheel weights to use for casting helps keep costs down, and you have options for what you want to use to melt your lead, an electric lead smelting pot, an old kitchen stove, or a propane turkey deep-fryer are all popular choices.
For the most part though you will have to buy most of the equipment, there really isn't any substitute for the press, scale, dies, etc. But what you can do is ensure the gear you purchase is a good fit for the kind of reloading you are going to do. For making relatively small batches of .44 cartridges at a time, a small simple single stage press is all you need, you can get a lee challenger press for around $30, you will need a decent scale - either analog or digital, and a powder trickler and powder thrower make your life a lot easier, you don't necessarily require them, but they don't cost much and are well worth having.
That is my two cents anyway :pirate:
 
you must have missed my post...

look at this, it's all you need beyond components to start with:
http://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-44-mag.htm

You'll want to shorten the die so the roll crimp makes contact. The 44R case length is 0.970" the 44mag is 1.285" You'll want to shorten the die 0.315" A hacksaw and file will work if you don't have access to a lathe. Squared off is the key. It will work as is, but because 44mag is longer than 44R the crimp taper in the die won't contact.


A tumbler is one of the last things you need. Shiny brass won't make any difference to that old iron. If you are going to go smokeless, buy a balance beam scale. Avoid digital unless you have check weights and use them often.


here's your list to get started:
Lee Loader
You can get bullets from jethunter on the forum here.
You can buy Starline 44R brass or trim 44spl or 44mag
Primers
powder
scale

Do some research before you buy powder. There is a sticky thread titled "Smokeless in Antiques" in the antique forum here: http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/249992-Smokeless-in-Antiques
Read it!

If you really want to shoot that iron safely and enjoy every trigger squeeze then building your own ammo is a must. This is the cheap and easy way to do it. You can buy all the fancy gear later if you like but this will get you shooting and give you an understanding of what you are up against when building your own ammo for antique revolvers. It's not rocket science but you need to have your wits about you. Parts for those old irons are hard to come by and fingers don't grow back.

BR
 
Thanks that sounds like the route I will go, I was told I can use a wire cutter/stripper to crimp. I don't have a lathe but I do have a sawsall and a grinder lol
 
Thanks that sounds like the route I will go, I was told I can use a wire cutter/stripper to crimp. I don't have a lathe but I do have a sawsall and a grinder lol

I'm not sure who you are talking to, but you should probably stop, lol.
A cutoff wheel in a grinder should be no problem to cut the loading die. And maybe a file or sander to make it purdy
 
Whatever you shorten the die with, make sure you leave enough meat to square it off to finished length with a file.

In reality, the case shouldn't expand much from the ignition pressure (if you are doing it right) and you will really only be sizing to regain neck tension to hold the bullet. A light roll crimp is all that is needed with 44R in my experience.

ymmv
 
Seek some one out from a local cowboy action group or some one in the local clubs that shoot antique handguns. They will most highly be handloaders as well and have the knowledge and experience to give you the advice that you need. Forums are great but can be time consuming to spell it all out the information that one is looking for to decipher the info particularly if it is conflicting. The best is if you can get some face to face and hands on with some one with experience. Not sure where you are located but even a day trip to see some one for a meet and greet to get this knowledge would be the best. Good luck. Let us know how you make out and how it shoots.
 
Back
Top Bottom