.44 WCF 1892 Winchester with Canadian proof marks ....

sean69

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Location
Oshawa
Picked up this guy earlier this week didn't really fit in milsurp or here as it's Canadian proofed for use by the British Navy! :)

But I had a few questions & need a couple of small parts

But since everyone hates a thread without pics :

wcf001.jpg


wcf002.jpg


wcf003.jpg


wcf004.jpg


So first off, is the firing pin supposed to have a spring? it just flops around & the one schematic I found didn't seem to indicate one. ??

Second, the rear site, does anyone know where to get the slide & screw - all I've found have been the 93 model complete site :( [besides the EE - posting an ad there right after this]

also - I'm happy with what I paid it was worth $1000 to me, but not $1100 as I explained to the guy selling it. What is 'market' on these?

-thanks
-sean
 
I have read articles which mentioned Canadians in Naval type service being issued Winchesters but I've never seen a verified one. Are there government acceptance marks, U.S. export markings, stock cartouches,unit markings etc? Look for typical things that you would expect to find on a Canadian military rifle of the era.

My '94 (made in the 1950's) does not have a firing pin spring and appears to free float, I suspect your model 1892 will be the same so no harm there. At the time your rifle was made there may have been several sight options, so if this is a military contract rifle, you will need to research what type of sight and parts are required to fix.
I can't speak the price because I'm not an expert on these and don't own one in .44 wcf, but if you're happy...? Winchester '92's and or 94's seem to be asking for anywhere from $100 on up to $2,000 +. (I thought Lee Enfields were complicated to collect! lol.)
 
If memory serves...

Probably made in 1914. Ordered by Brit Navy. Canada proofed them on behalf of the Brit Govt to speed up the process.

Same as the Remy 14 1/2 that were ordered by England

They also ordered some 45-90s for the RAF but not sure if these went through DCP
 
I have read articles which mentioned Canadians in Naval type service being issued Winchesters but I've never seen a verified one. )

I think you are thinking of the "fisherman's navy" or Canadian Rangers of WWII vintage. They patrolled the west coast of BC keeping an eye out for signs of a Japanese landing. They were issued mostly Winchester model 94s but also Marlin rifles, both in 30-30. The shells had full metal jacket slugs. They also carried a Canadian military mark on the left side of the receiver

cheers mooncoon
 
yes - I am happy with the price [I got him down from $1250] - the sight is a little different plus some other minor differences I will have to research a bit more.

I have read articles which mentioned Canadians in Naval type service being issued Winchesters but I've never seen a verified one. Are there government acceptance marks, U.S. export markings, stock cartouches,unit markings etc? Look for typical things that you would expect to find on a Canadian military rifle of the era.

My '94 (made in the 1950's) does not have a firing pin spring and appears to free float, I suspect your model 1892 will be the same so no harm there. At the time your rifle was made there may have been several sight options, so if this is a military contract rifle, you will need to research what type of sight and parts are required to fix.
I can't speak the price because I'm not an expert on these and don't own one in .44 wcf, but if you're happy...? Winchester '92's and or 94's seem to be asking for anywhere from $100 on up to $2,000 +. (I thought Lee Enfields were complicated to collect! lol.)
 
This seems to gel with what I have been able to find out [so far] - apparently [from the one article I found] some Canadians were sent to the Winchester factory specifically to inspect & proof them before acceptance.

interesting. will have to dig some more.


[no one have spare parts yet?? ;) ]


If memory serves...

Probably made in 1914. Ordered by Brit Navy. Canada proofed them on behalf of the Brit Govt to speed up the process.

Same as the Remy 14 1/2 that were ordered by England

They also ordered some 45-90s for the RAF but not sure if these went through DCP
 
Flat out?

I collect exclusively mil surps, but I wanted a lever... just fit the bill perectly :)




I have read articles which mentioned Canadians in Naval type service being issued Winchesters but I've never seen a verified one. Are there government acceptance marks, U.S. export markings, stock cartouches,unit markings etc? Look for typical things that you would expect to find on a Canadian military rifle of the era.

My '94 (made in the 1950's) does not have a firing pin spring and appears to free float, I suspect your model 1892 will be the same so no harm there. At the time your rifle was made there may have been several sight options, so if this is a military contract rifle, you will need to research what type of sight and parts are required to fix.
I can't speak the price because I'm not an expert on these and don't own one in .44 wcf, but if you're happy...? Winchester '92's and or 94's seem to be asking for anywhere from $100 on up to $2,000 +. (I thought Lee Enfields were complicated to collect! lol.)
 
I think you are thinking of the "fisherman's navy" or Canadian Rangers of WWII vintage. They patrolled the west coast of BC keeping an eye out for signs of a Japanese landing. They were issued mostly Winchester model 94s but also Marlin rifles, both in 30-30. The shells had full metal jacket slugs. They also carried a Canadian military mark on the left side of the receiver

cheers mooncoon

This is in fact the information I was referring to.(though I had forgotten it was WW2. It was the aspect of not being RCN kit...yet being "Navy" kit that I found intriguing.) Where was that article?
 
In 1915 the Royal navy ordered 20,000 1892 carbines from Winchester as well as 5,000 1894 carbines in .30 WCF. Canadian inspectors traveled to the U.S. and inspected and stamped the rifles on behalf of the Royal Navy. I have seen several of each over the years and they are seen in Australia as well. I believe they were sold off as surplus by the British government following WW1. Values are not as high as you would think as collector interest in rifles that have added (non Winchester) markings seem to be frowned upon by American(the majority) collectors. I have sold one in similar condition to yours for $800 a couple years back. I also sold an 1894 in .30 WCF so marked in better condition for the same price.
There is a recorded account in Royal Navy archives of a German submarine that was engaged on the surface with rifle fire from Winchester rifles. Undoubtedly a first.
 
I have owned a number of these guns over the years and even collected them for a while. This I believe is the only photo to surface of Royal Naval Cadets marching and carrying Winchester Model 1892s. They will appeal to the Winchester Collectors and to Military Collectors.

 
Back
Top Bottom