44 webley help

Rebelson

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
i just acquired a Iver Johnson in 44 Webley and I am looking to roll some ammo for it. I already cast and have found a mold maker whose making me 2 molds(one healed RN and one healed Kieth) in .443 with a .420 heal. is that correct for the caliber? also i am planning one trimming and reducing the dia. on 44 mag cases to work and on paper it should work but has anyone done it successfully. I have more time than money so id rather stick to 44 mag brass. any loads to recommend? maybe a max powder charge for unique and bullseye.

thanks in advance

rebel
 
I am worried about the Keith bullet. These guns usually don't index too well and it is best to stick to RN profiles (not having a flat surface hit the barrel squarely).

Have you measured your chambers? They will tell you a lot about what to pick.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.442_Webley

Was the gun proofed for Smokeless? As I see on rustywood.ca, Blackpowder and substitutes are cheaper. Sharpe's manual (1937) only gives one Blackpowder load.
 
Last edited:
The .443/.420 bullet is correct for Webley-made revolvers. This bullet is for use in the Webley RIC .442 (Royal Irish Constabulary) police revolver. The cartridge was also sold as and known as known as the .44 Webley in the USA. I expect the mold is coming from Old West Molds.

Now for the discouraging part - many of the North American made revolvers that were advertised as chambered in 44 webley used widely varying dimensions in the cartridges and chambers - some did not even use a heeled bullet and were as small as .425". Have also seen the revolver that was marked .44 webley and had a .425" g2g measurement.

If you are loading for a webley you are likely fine with that mold, otherwise there is some chance that bullet won't fit well in that revolver. You might want to slug chamber and bore before you order the mold.
 
^^ Yes, I agree with Jethunter.

When reloading for an antique the first thing you do is slug the bore and cylinders and then take it from there.
 
Back
Top Bottom