.44Remington cartridge

jetrefueller

Regular
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Location
Northern Ontario
Hey all has anyone had a Remington New model Army that has been converted to .44Remington cartridge and is this cartridge considered ok on our antique list as it is obsolete in the US along with the .44colt. Not to be confused with the .44-40. Just looking at one.
 
afaik they didn't do 1858 conversions to 44Remington...
not saying it isn't possible,I've just never heard of a NMA converted to 44Remington...
Remington model 1875's that were part of the Egyptian contract were chambered in 44 Remington caliber.
It is not on the list so is fine as far as antique status in Canada.

edit:did you get that 1875 in 45Colt you bid on?
 
My book indicates the 44 Remington is the same thing as the 44 Colt. Just that the 2 companies didn't want to use the o ther ones name on their ammo. I got some brass from either Buffalo Arms or TotW.....can't remember which......wTc
 
Remember,don't believe everything you read...
Even though many sources mistakenly state the interchangeability of the two cartridges...
you may find this thread enlightening...
Code:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/44-remington-c-f-4782/
what book is that WTC?
does it have a cartridge diagram for 44Rem?
I have never been able to find a diagram,just listed dimension.

.44 Remington Cartridge Specs
A. Rim Thickness............0.033"
B. Case Length..............1.055"
C. Overall Length...........1.536"
D. Rim Diameter.............0.477"
E. Case Head Diameter.......0.448"
F. Case Mouth Diameter......0.445"
G. Bullet Diameter..........0.445"
44colt.jpg



Edit:
For anyone interested in seeing an example of what we're talking about,I happen to have a Remington cartridge conversion in 44Colt listed in the EE right now.Just click on the "HOGLEG4Sale" link below.
 
Last edited:
NO: This book is written by Henry White and Burton Munhall..........and no, it does not have a diagram of the 44 Remington.
It says "This cartridge [44 Colt] was close enough in dimensions to the ammunition used in .44 Remington Army Revolvers, Model 1875 so that it could also be used in the later revolver."
"44 Colt Synonyms: 44 Colt & Remington Army Revolver"
 
I see...that was one of the books mentioned in the link I posted as saying just that and being refuted.
I decided to create my own diagram,for convenience sake,to add to my reference material.
The information at the bottom is gleaned from several sources,that discussion being one, and the validity is not 100% certain.
A grain of salt recommended ;)
44remingtoncf.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom