45/2-7/8 how many wraps for PP?

eaglesnester

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a new Pedesoli 45/110 sharps. Currently developing loads for paper patch with holy black 2f. Have a .458 bore with .459 groves. My mold is a monies .446. Have 100% cotton rag paper that is less than .002. I am unable to get a precise measurement on my onion skin. My question is: Can I use three wraps of paper instead of two? With 3 wraps of paper the loaded cartridge just slips into the chamber with a slight push to the rim. The resistance to cambering feels as if the paper is just touching the groves.
 
You most certainly can use three wraps.
When you get some of the older rifles that don't conform to todays chamber measurements you do what you have to to get them to shoot.
Good luck carry on and play safe.
 
Sure you can, but the paper might not come off the bullet quick enough, and accuracy could suffer. Only one way to find out. You can always use thicker paper if that doesn't work.
I use Southworth 419 C 9# tracing paper. Two wraps on a .446 bullet add about .004, works very well.
 
I use 2 wraps of .004 paper and when dry, run the bullet through a sizing die. Important that the sizing die has a taper in going from entrance to final diameter. A sharp transition would strip the paper off

cheers mooncoon
 
Have a new Pedesoli 45/110 sharps. Currently developing loads for paper patch with holy black 2f. Have a .458 bore with .459 groves. My mold is a monies .446. Have 100% cotton rag paper that is less than .002. I am unable to get a precise measurement on my onion skin. My question is: Can I use three wraps of paper instead of two? With 3 wraps of paper the loaded cartridge just slips into the chamber with a slight push to the rim. The resistance to cambering feels as if the paper is just touching the groves.

.446 + .002 + .002 = .450
.446 + .002 +.002 +.002 = .452

If the bore is .458" you shouldn't be touching the lands or grooves.
I'd think you need thicker paper..?
 
" Have a .458 bore with .459 groves"
Are you sure of this as the grooves would be 0.0005 inch deep? Most barrels have around .004 grooves.

".446 + .002 + .002 = .450"
A wrap of .002 paper adds .004 diameter so two wraps adds .008 inch.

Cheers 270 totheend
 
from .446=Two wraps=.002+.002+.002+.002=.008. 3 wraps+.012. .446=.012=.057 I did slug the bore and careful y measured slug and got .058-059 bore and grove size. The barrel on a Pedesoli 1874 Sharps is a gain twist barrel if that makes any difference.

Cheers and tighter groups: Eaglesnester
 
Back
Top Bottom