45-70, 535 grain cast bullets and SR4759?

Dogleg

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I've got a 45-70 Pedersoli rolling block on the way, and do intend on shooting black powder through it by summer. While I'm gathering together black powder, another lubri-sizer and such I thought I could at least get it running with what I have around.

I've a ton of SR4759 and a RCBS mold for a nominal 500 grain plain base flat nose that drops at 535 grains with wheel weight metal. Load data always seem to disappear around 500 grains. Anyone using 4759 and heavy cast bullets?
 
I've got a 45-70 Pedersoli rolling block on the way, and do intend on shooting black powder through it by summer. While I'm gathering together black powder, another lubri-sizer and such I thought I could at least get it running with what I have around.

I've a ton of SR4759 and a RCBS mold for a nominal 500 grain plain base flat nose that drops at 535 grains with wheel weight metal. Load data always seem to disappear around 500 grains. Anyone using 4759 and heavy cast bullets?

Recoil is going to be stout with that combo, and 4759 has been discontinued so how much you have might depend on if its even worth the lead experimenting. Anything over 500 grains with smokeless will leave a very stout kick if you plan to shoot at least 50 rounds or so.

Do yourself a favour, get a lyman 457125 mold (the government roundnose) and a pound of Reloder 7. It outperforms 4759 for me by a mile.
 
I'll never run out of 4759 in this lifetime;) but I'm just looking for a stop-gap measure until I switch over to black anyway. I'm just planning on idling along at Springfield pressures. More molds are always interesting though. I even have some reloader 7.
 
I have a Saeco mould which drops a bullet @ 540 grs. (gaschecked). I worked up a load with this bullet and 44.0 gr Reloader 7 for my custom Enfield 45-70. Recoil is somewhat stout, but it grouped 5 shots into .822" at 100 yds. Average velocity 1707 fps with a standard deviation of 12. This load is 3 grs. over Ken Waters' maximum listed load for Ruger #1 actions, so one should start 15 to 20% lower and work up slowly. I am not getting excessively flattened primers or excessive case expansion, and if I was CFBMI, I would probably try to push the limits a little more, LOL.
 
I'm limited to 29,000 PSI with the rolling block, but really I'd be happy with duplicating black powder velocities. The smokeless is supposed to be just a temporary thing, unless a laziness factor kicks in. That could happen.

If I want faster 45 cal velocities, that's what the Lott is for.
 
I experimented with a few "light" smokeless loads for my Pedersoli .45-70, which I normally shoot with black powder or pyrodex loads.
A 565gr cast Boomer (looks like a Postell) over 25 gr SR4759 and a WLR primer gave 1234 fps with sdev 17. With CCI primers it was 1205 fps.
The rifle weighs nearly 14 lbs so recoil is generally not a problem - there's a bigger risk of me throwing my back out just lifting the beast.

Calculated pressure was about 22000 psi, well within the limits of the rifle.
 
I experimented with a few "light" smokeless loads for my Pedersoli .45-70, which I normally shoot with black powder or pyrodex loads.
A 565gr cast Boomer (looks like a Postell) over 25 gr SR4759 and a WLR primer gave 1234 fps with sdev 17. With CCI primers it was 1205 fps.
The rifle weighs nearly 14 lbs so recoil is generally not a problem - there's a bigger risk of me throwing my back out just lifting the beast.

Calculated pressure was about 22000 psi, well within the limits of the rifle.


That's sounds like the loads I have ready and waiting for when the rifle shows up. My bullet is a little lighter at 535 grains. 25 grains with the same bullet is my plinking load for my .458 Lott.

The Boomer mold is a custom from the guy in Regina? I intend to look into those once I can measure a few things up. It would be un patriotic to do otherwise.
 
That's sounds like the loads I have ready and waiting for when the rifle shows up. My bullet is a little lighter at 535 grains. 25 grains with the same bullet is my plinking load for my .458 Lott.

The Boomer mold is a custom from the guy in Regina? I intend to look into those once I can measure a few things up. It would be un patriotic to do otherwise.

Yes Boomer is made in Canada! It came with the rifle. It's a great mold and the handles are fantastic, sort of vise-grip style.
 
Back
Top Bottom