45 -70 rifling and twist

oops

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Location
The 10th kingdom
I am a bit unsure ....

If I am building a 45-70 that is going to shoot nothing but cast bullets....are there barrels out there that have deeper rifling for this sort of thing and what twist should look at..

All I seem to find is 16 twist and .010 grooves....wouldnt 20 twist and 15 thou grooves be better


TKS:wave:


OH ya........black powder only, possibility duplex loads
 
Faster twist should favour heavier bullets. My best guess says the 1 in 16 should work fine with bullets of 400 grain and upwards. That's all I have to say on this matter as there are far more knowledgeable heavy cast BP shooters than myself on this forum.

Cheers
 
The Marlin "Ballard" cut rifling barrels are very good, for after market, Badger barrels are tops esp. for cast bullets, my Badgers are all 1-18" with deep cut rifling and very accurate. I haven't had as much luck as some with button rifled big bore barrels, my Douglas and Green Mountain barrels are just not as accurate as the Badgers. The other alternative is a Ron Smith Barrel from Alta., although he is about 6 months or more behind.
 
i use a 1-18 twist for my 45cal muzzy shooting 530 grain bullets. and it groups very very well at +100 yards (1-2 inches at 50 yards before full stability with 120 grains of ff blackpowder, with a paper wad between bullet and powder.)
 
My Pedersoli Sharps 45-90 has 1:18 twist and does well with the cast bullets I have tried from 405 gr to 525 gr. I load for best possible accuracy and use 65 to 75 gr FFg, depending on the slug.
 
Back
Top Bottom