.45-70 Spire Point for Hunting

skokie

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Location
Windsor, Ontario
Not sure this is the right spot this, but here goes. I could be way overthinking this, please bear with me. So I've been casting the Lee 500 grain .458 Spire Point in hard cast. It shoots very nicely out of my Sharps with black powder and smokeless loads so I'm considering hunting with this bullet. I'm confident it will penetrate well and eventually kill the deer or bear I would use it on, I'm just not sure if it will create a large enough wound channel to be effective and kill quickly. I'm thinking because of its shape and hardness it would act like an FMJ and just penetrate straight through with minor cavitation, not that a .460 caliber FMJ is anything to sneeze at of course. Now I could cast it of pure lead to make it expand and cause more trauma, but I'm not sure if that would even help because of the shape. I also have the equipment to make it into a pointed hollow point. I'm wondering if I should go with a flatnose hardcast or hollowpoint jacketed round instead to create a larger wound, but I'd really like to use this bullet if its going to make a clean kill. I'm wondering if anyone has used this bullet on game in either pure lead or hardcast? Also any experience with other mid to large caliber pointed hardcast bullets on game would be appreciated.
 
I too like that bullet. It will not expand much in game ( my opinion). I will go through both shoulders and expand some, but a 1/2 in going in and out are nothing to sneeze at. It will leave a good blue trail and that should be short. Like drydennsaid,a wide melate will drop game better at realistic ranges.
 
Back
Top Bottom