Gentleman, I'm thinking on loading some 45-70 cartridges with BP, what do you recommend, FFG or FFFG?
Victor.
I use mostly Goex ffg. If I can find Swiss, I use 1.5g
I use 1F Goex for my 45-70's
It is what all my muskets use so I have a lot of it. It works fine but I can only compress about 65 grains it the casing. I use a .459 diameter 405 grain hollow base bullet with
50-50% bee's wax and Crisco as bullet lube.
Hope this helps
Do you use a drop tube?
tac
Everything I have experienced and read indicates that in our modern brass 68 grains is the maximum charge that can be stuffed into the 45/70.
Yes indeed, I use a homemade copper drop tube. I could probably get 70 grains of 1F if I compressed the load even more but that would be way too much pressure. I would need to get a longer handle on my reloading press for more mechanical advantage
For a nice plinking load I only use 60 grains and the .459 diameter 405 grain hollow base. Good accuracy and I only need to clean the fouling out every 10-12 shots.
The Carbine I use is a H&R model 1871



























