45-90

Yes and no; assuming the gun is original, the 45-90 was an express case meaning that it used a light bullet and lots of powder in the hope of getting a flatter trajectory. The most common factory load for 45-70 is a 400 grain bullet and I suspect that might be a bit heavy for the 45-90 to stabilize. If you can establish your rifles twist rate, you can calculate the heaviest (longest) projectile it can stabilize using the Greenhill formula of L = 150 x D squared over T. Work on the basis of needing a twist rate of 1" faster than the formula calculates. You can calculate the twist rate using a tight well oiled patch on a ramrod with either an easily pivoting handle or a delicate hand allowing the rod to turn with the rifling. Put a piece of tape on the handle end of the rod to act as a flag to show you a full turn or half turn etc.

cheers mooncoon
 
I sold my 577-450 and my 577 sniders with 19 virgin brass for the 577 snider an 10 once fired for the 577-450. I bought the brass in the states at Montana riffle company 15 years ago when you could buy easily. Black powder was to much of a hassle and I lost my gun room to my kids room. That why I was looking for a 45-70 or a 45-90 but I just found the 45-70 I have been looking for I should get this week. So not interested in the 45-90 any more.
 
Back
Top Bottom