45 ACP HP cheaper than FMJ?

sewktbk

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Location
Canada
hey guys, so i'm looking at 45 ACP prices on the moregunssupply website.
They have their own brand of commercial reloads.

HP 230gr sells for $20.99 /50
FMJ 230gr sells for $21.99 /50

This is the first time i've seen Hollow Points go for cheaper than FMJ. Why is that so?
Is it because the HP is not jacketed (if thats even possible)??

Thanks for the help.
 
Moregunssupply... there's your problem right there.

It's likely not 'commercially reloaded'. I believe it's his own handloads, which is one of the reasons he was banned from here.
 
hm. interesting and good to know.

but my question remains, how could he offer HP at a lower price than FMJ? Handloads or not, i've always believed HP was more expensive...


And while we're on the subject, what are other reasons he got banned? just curious to know
 
Moregunsupply, the banned dealer? :redface:

JHP is jacketed for sure. I don't think that plated JHP is possible. Pricing is good, buy at your own risk.:D
 
Moregunssupply... there's your problem right there.

It's likely not 'commercially reloaded'. I believe it's his own handloads, which is one of the reasons he was banned from here.

Moreguns Ammo - Manufactured by a certified by Natural Resources Canada ammo reloader. Extreme care has been exercised in the manufacture of all cartridges. All loading is done using the latest ammo load and equipment.

I don't know.
 
I don't know.

OK well this thread is not to try and start a debate about wether or not moregunssupply does commercial loads or handloads.

I simply want to understand HOW is it possible to offer HP ammo for cheaper than FMJ. handloads or not.

so please guys, check original question :D

thanks, cheers.
 
The cost of swaging(making) a fmj should be about the same as a JHP, hollow points can be made in both plated and cast bullets, but production outfits won't offer that as casting them is slow and you need the mold made for HPs. One of the most popular cast bullets for hunting with a rifle is the "Gould" 330 gr Hollow point meant for the 45/70. I've sized many of them down for my use in the .45 Colt's, talk about a lot of hurt from a handgun!!!
 
I bought Montana Gold 185gr JHP for amount the same price as the 230gr FMJ. Lighter bullets mean less lead, but slightly 'more work' to make, so pricing should be similar.

These JHP reloads are not like 'Ranger SXT' or duty ammo... it's just a 'non-engineered' hollowpoint - pretty basic.

That being said, buy factory or roll your own... I wouldn't trust anyone to make ammo for me, personally.
 
The cost of swaging(making) a fmj should be about the same as a JHP, hollow points can be made in both plated and cast bullets, but production outfits won't offer that as casting them is slow and you need the mold made for HPs. One of the most popular cast bullets for hunting with a rifle is the "Gould" 330 gr Hollow point meant for the 45/70. I've sized many of them down for my use in the .45 Colt's, talk about a lot of hurt from a handgun!!!

thanks for the info.

So I should always look for JHP and avoid HP? is that what you're saying?
 
I don't know.

He wouldn't reveal his supplier, and two approved reloaders have made it clear they are not associated with him. Custom Reloaders in BC said so on CGN, and Wolf have an exclusive deal with SFRC.

He was advertizing .223 Rem reloaded by an approved commercial reloader, but the only one in Canada to have an approved .223 Rem load hasn't made any for years. When the poop hit the fan, the ammo magicly became factory ammo.
 
I hope you didn't get the wrong impression, they all work good, if you need expansion use a HP, for best feeding in auto pistols a FMJ is preferable....IMHO
 
He wouldn't reveal his supplier, and two approved reloaders have made it clear they are not associated with him. Custom Reloaders in BC said so on CGN, and Wolf have an exclusive deal with SFRC.

He was advertizing .223 Rem reloaded by an approved commercial reloader, but the only one in Canada to have an approved .223 Rem load hasn't made any for years. When the poop hit the fan, the ammo magicly became factory ammo.

Thanks for the info. I don't plan to buy commercial reload but it's always good to know.
 
Back
Top Bottom