45 ACP on Vancouver Island

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Port Alberni, BC
So I've acquired a couple of 1911's. And they seem to have a seriously voracious appetite. I'd like to get 1000rds for it, and I don't really enjoy the $33/box I'm paying for Winchester right now. Anyone know a cheaper source?
 
Contact Henry Nierychlo on this site. I picked up 500 rounds through him, and I believe they're classified as "Factory reloads". They're loaded with jacketed bullets and I believe the list was $18.oo/50. With shipping etc I paid $223.60 for 500. Give him a shout.
 
Thank you Gents! I love how fast people are willing to help around the CGN.

Johnn Peterson, thank you very much Sir, I will try and contact Henry Nierychlo and see what he has to say. So far that looks like my best option.
 
Thank you Gents! I love how fast people are willing to help around the CGN.

Johnn Peterson, thank you very much Sir, I will try and contact Henry Nierychlo and see what he has to say. So far that looks like my best option.

I just 'tried' some out today out of a recently acquired S&W 4506 and they work well.

IMG_1169.jpg


Too cold to do any serious shooting but the targets I did shoot weren't too bad, considering and they functioned well through the gun. I'll try some through my 1911 next time.

GeorgeColt45ACP.jpg


When I got my 'supply' from Henry, I got 500. When I got back from the range I took a box over to a shooting buddy to try out. He figures for that price, if they function not too bad through his guns he may order a small sack full also.
 
$550 for 1000! is that factory ammo or reloads? if factory, then not toooo bad.

Last year when I bought wolf reloads, the price was $430/1000 shipped from Manitoba to Ontario
 
$550 for 1000! is that factory ammo or reloads? if factory, then not toooo bad.

Last year when I bought wolf reloads, the price was $430/1000 shipped from Manitoba to Ontario

luke sWhat Henry told me, they are "factory reloads". The price, actually slightly less. I paid, total including shipping, $223.60 for 500 so that's be, roughly $447.20/1000. The bullets are jacketed 230gr RNFP.

ben hunchakThe list price Henry quoted me of $18.oo/50, $0.36/round, I'd be hard pressed to beat that price with powder, primers and especially with jacketed bullets. Now factor in your time...............

I have other brass and of course I'm saving that from what I shoot of this stuff and I have dies etc but if you could get 45 ACP ammo for that price would you load them? Perhaps some 'speciality' target loads for bullseye paper punching but for something to 'play with at the range............
 
No problems with factory reloads, you're right $223 is still a good deal!

Minus the time spent however, reloading is still much cheaper then buying factory reloads or new ammo
 
No problems with factory reloads, you're right $223 is still a good deal!

Minus the time spent however, reloading is still much cheaper then buying factory reloads or new ammo

Well, again for 500, tax and shipping included, $223.60 total. And, quoted price/box of 50, $18.00. I can get cast bullets from a buddy locally, for a good price. But, the last jacketed bullets I've bought in 45 cal and in a box of 50, although for a rifle, the sticker on the Hornadys is $35.99 and the sticker on the box of Speer, $26.oo. That's just for bullets alone and once more, the price listed on the factory reloads, $18.00. Still one hell of a cost effective deal to me. Casting your own will cut costs but check on the price of good grade cast bullets themselves. Might be hard to come by, for $18.oo/50.
 
heres my break down:

1000 cast DRG bullets - $106.22 tax in
1000 WIN LP primers - $33.40 tax in
titegroup/700x/clays powder (1 lb good for ~1200+bullets) $20.34 tax in
brass assumed free from your collection

~$160/1000 or $8/50 for cast

1000 Can-Pro .45 calibre, 230-grain copper wash at epps costs $167.24, so:
~218/1000 or $10.90/50

still significant savings (in ontario, buying locally anyway) so it really comes down to what your time is worth or if you enjoy reloading
 
heres my break down:

1000 cast DRG bullets - $106.22 tax in
1000 WIN LP primers - $33.40 tax in
titegroup/700x/clays powder (1 lb good for ~1200+bullets) $20.34 tax in
brass assumed free from your collection

~$160/1000 or $8/50 for cast

1000 Can-Pro .45 calibre, 230-grain copper wash at epps costs $167.24, so:
~218/1000 or $10.90/50

still significant savings (in ontario, buying locally anyway) so it really comes down to what your time is worth or if you enjoy reloading

You're quite correct and I do enjoy reloading. Especially when it all comes together and you hit the sweet spot in load development for a group tighter than any of the previous. Being retired these days, I also have the time I can allocate to that task.

I used to do all my own casting as well, but it was the aspect of reloading I liked the least. When I first got my 500 S&W a friend locally that also has one and is into casting in a big way ended up being my first source of a variety of bullets for it. That has progressed to the point where I now get all my cast bullet supplies from him.

Even so and if I need, I won't hesitate to pick up the odd batch every once in a while,;) especially for $18.oo/box.
 
Back
Top Bottom