.45 Colt Round Ball with BP - Just some fun

NorthCoastBigBore

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Thought I'd try some of these just because they are fast and easy to load, lots of fire and smoke.

I'm NOT posting the targets though...not that great at the moment but still a ton of fun, accuracy is not the motivation here :) Good excuse to keep loading them, figure out the sweet spot.

As for lube, tried a few different things (remember it's a RB - no lube grooves). Right now, the simplest solution seems to have the best results - lube on the ends of the chambers just as I would with a C&B. Bore stayed nice and clean even after 20 rounds. (Edit): By "nice & clean" I should say, the barrel wasn't leaded up. I cleaned it out with a quick swab of hot water & it was good to go. Tried grease cookie under but it didn't work any better, so I'm sticking with it - keep 'er simple.

hdWPK.jpg
 
Last edited:
What size balls are you using??How much powder (I noticed the corn starch in the background).
I have a gun like yours except that it is designed for cap and ball (.454) and so far it has not proved too accurate even though it has very strong rifling. I have only tried 24 grains Goex FFFG so far... more experimenting is needed to find the right load.
 
I remember that thread - pretty neat revolver you've got there. That loading is pretty similar to what I'm loading - I'm loading 26 grains 3fg also with a .454" ball, corn starch as filler.

I'm going to drop the charge on the next batch and try some around 20 grains; and some in between (23 grains or so). After that, may try some different size balls if that doesn't improve accuracy.

I haven't slugged this bore but according to Uberti these barrels should be on the smaller side so .454" ought to be pretty good, if anything I'll drop to .452 first then .457 as a last resort. I'll try and find that website again, it shows the dimensions for these revolvers.
 
Last edited:
Here it is, .442" bore, .450" groove:

h ttp://www.cimarron-firearms.com/boregroovetwist/bore_groove_twist-Uberti.htm

Twist is 1:16" which is why I've been sticking to reduced loads. Note that the C&B twists are a lot slower, as I'd expect. There is a C&B .44 at 18" twist though (conical?).
 
Back
Top Bottom