450 Adams

tactical870

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
Does anyone know when makers quit chambering for the 450 Adams cartridge? I'm having a hell of a time dating a Belgian bulldog chambered in 450 Adams, but my research indicates that 450 Adams was essentially obsolete as a chambering long before 1898.....
 
Im pretty sure it was in service from 1868 to 1880.

The .455 came out in 1879, so close to after that it would have all been switched over and the military would have stopped using it. Now that doesnt mean that it wasnt made for civilians but its hard to say I would ussume that it was totally out by the early 1900's at the latest.

Its safe to assume the gun in question is 1870s-1890s

Cheers, McLean
 
Does the proofmark have a crown? If so, it is post 1893. I would be had to establish pre-'98 manufacture. The caliber mght be evidence of earlier manufacture, but is not proof of it.
 
Colt was makeing revolvers in 450 in 1900, Webley to post WWI and Belgian bulldog style revolvers in 450 were listed in the ALFA catalogue of 1911.
 
Does the proofmark have a crown? If so, it is post 1893. I would be had to establish pre-'98 manufacture. The caliber mght be evidence of earlier manufacture, but is not proof of it.

There is no standard ELG proof on this gun. I'm pretty good at dating antiques between proofs and controllers marks, but this one has me baffled. I have no doubts that it's antique, but I'd like to find something solid to prove it. It has a 2 digit serial number on all parts, as well as a strange marking under the grips with some other numbers.
 
Back
Top Bottom