455 Webley Ammo

Dillinger022

CGN Regular
EE REVOKED
Rating - 100%
157   0   0
Location
Aylmer, QC
I'd like to know if these .455 Webley rounds I recently picked up are safe to shoot in pre-1898 antique handguns. Here's what I have:
-1 K (Kynoch) MK.II C (cordite) round;
-11 D.C.Co. (Dominion Cartridge) .455 rounds;
-3 1922-dated DAC (Dominion Arsenal) MK.II rounds;
-5 1923-dated DAC MK.II rounds;
-1 1929-dated DAC MK.II round;
-2 1930-dated DAC MK.II rounds

Are the MK.II cordite rounds too powerful for antiques?




Thanks
 
Don't know if it is too powerful to shoot in your old Webley but the primers are probably corrosive and Cordite burns very hot. Might be better to just keep it as mildly collectable ammo. My 2 cents.
 
I will assume you have a MK revolver. If your MK Webley is in good condition, none of those rounds will cause them harm. MK I revolvers were predominately produced pre cordite but handled cordite rounds without any serious issues. That said you have quite a few collectible rounds that imho would be a shame to discharge.
 
The cordite rounds are something I would stay away from. They were unpredictable when new!
They are all collectible. If shooting a 455 webbly is your game shortening a 45colt case and loading your own would be your best bet.
Also be carefull not to mix up 455 webbly pistol
And 455 webbly revolver ammo.
 
Thanks for the info guys. They're definitely not .455 Webley Auto MK.I rounds. I knew the DAC-marked rounds were collectible since they're military ammo, but didn't think the other ones were very valubale beyond shooting ammo as they can't be dated. What would each of these rounds be worth approximately?

Also, how were cordite rounds unpredictable. Did they blow up?

I have the opportunity to buy new Fiocchi .455 Webley MK.II 262-grain lead round nose cartridges. They're described in their catalog as "Cartridges loaded according to CIP Euro Laws. (Historic Cartridge for 'Collector' Firearms)". These should be alright for antique revolvers, right?
I don't shoot antiques enough to bother reloading for them. I just want to shoot each one a few times before selling them off.
 
Back
Top Bottom