.455 with a Lee Loader?

cyclone

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
Location
Toronto, Ontario
Well, I definitely know please don't ask how!) that a .45 ACP Lee Loader is not the kindest to .455 brass...any ideas on using a .45 Colt Lee Loader?


My .455 reloading is going to be "low volume", for now at least.
 
From what you posted I'm guessing that some of your 455 brass got damaged. That stuff is pretty precious nowadays.


Yea....:(......3 pieces of once-fired brass were bent at the rim because the .452 chamber on the reloading-tool wasn't generous enough.


I'm thinking of sizing in a .454 chamber, and then (if necessary) in the .452 tool.
 
I'm not familiar with the Lee Loader, but I reload my .455 using a Lee standard die set in my Rcbs rockchucker. I picked up the dies at Ellwood Epps.
 
Well I just looked up the Lee Loader and see that it's a stand alone product and doesn't use dies so disregard my last post, it ain't going to help, sorry.
 
I use Lee dies for .455 on my Lee turret press with no issues what's so ever. If you look close one of the dies is labelled .45colt> I will take a look and post which one.
 
I've used a Lee hand press and a set of .455 Lee dies for years and no brass damage whatsoever. It's a bit bigger than the Lee loader box but not hugely. Easily available. I was at the Ancaster gun show this morning and there was both a hand press and .455 dies. Coulda had both for a few dollars under $100. My 2 cents.
 
You may need a separate expander plug.
Track of the Wolf has expander plugs or if you have a lath you or a friend can make one.
I use two expander plugs when reloading .44-40, it sure makes it a lot easier.
 
Back
Top Bottom