45cal Ml max range for deer?

Ed Smurf

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Location
KZ Quebec
I have an old CVA Kentucky .45 cal ML.I have never hunted with it (I use my Inline 50 for that) . What would be the max range I could shoot to reasonably get a kill using RB?
 
Not more than 100 yards, but IMO 60 - 75 yards is, perhaps, best for a clean kill with a .45cal, no matter how much you stoke it up. The difference between a .45cal and .50cal ball in terms of ME is surprisingly large.

That .45cal ball drops like a weighted-down anvil at that distance, so be sure to practice a lot at the ranges you intend to hunt at. Aiming for the heart/lung triangle and hitting the lower foreleg is not kind to the animal.

tac
 
What is there available to you for 45 cal minie or maxie whatever they call them? Something like that would carry much more energy than a round ball. Actually, I'll come back in a minute, I have a book with what info you're looking for. Well, energy at 100 meters kind of thing.

Round ball appears to have figures between 250-350 lbs at 100 meters....they seem to bleed off energy quickly. There's data in my book (Lyman black powder handbook 1975) with 230-300 grain bullets, with various charge weights and barrel length. It seems very doable for a 100 meter shot with heavier bullets.
 
Last edited:
What is there available to you for 45 cal minie or maxie whatever they call them? Something like that would carry much more energy than a round ball. Actually, I'll come back in a minute, I have a book with what info you're looking for. Well, energy at 100 meters kind of thing.

Round ball appears to have figures between 250-350 lbs at 100 meters....they seem to bleed off energy quickly. There's data in my book (Lyman black powder handbook 1975) with 230-300 grain bullets, with various charge weights and barrel length. It seems very doable for a 100 meter shot with heavier bullets.
I like the idea of a minie ball, but what powder charge is reasonable...would be using RS pyrodex. Does anybody make a mold for .45 minie? Hoe about maxi-hunter?
 
Last edited:
I limit cap lock / flinter ranges to about 70 yards, with a 45 to a 58 cal. ML hunting is about getting close for me . Lee has moulds quite cheap for the conical .Titan reloading is good to deal with , but our dollar is killing us.

I have better luck with Goex powder than the subs.
 
I like the idea of a minie ball, but what powder charge is reasonable...would be using RS pyrodex. Does anybody make a mold for .45 minie? Hoe about maxi-hunter?

Someone mentioned Lee makes molds, so that would probably work. The data I have listed says Universal test gun with lows of 30 grains upwards of 140 grains (across the 230-300 grain bullet weight). This of course doesn't mean it's safe for your gun, I think it's listed just to show velocity increases.

For the most part, any data above 100 grains powder shows increases, but hard gained. A load with a 100 grain charge and 300 grain bullet shows only 200 lbs less energy at 100 meters than a 140 grain charge, same bullet.
 
For reference, what is the weight of a .45 cal RB pure lead? Actual dim .440

A .440 ball weighs 128 grs.

In Sam Fadala's book "Black Powder Loading Manual" he tests a percussion rifle with a 33 1/2" barrel using a .440 ball and a .015 patch with 75 grs of FFg black powder. The muzzle energy is 979 fpe but is down to 291 fpe at 100 yds.
 
Last edited:
That ball sure do lose it fast.

The Maxi-ball or R.E.A.L bullet has it every time.

tac

Agreed. But the barrel must stabilize it or it's just so much extra effort for nothing.

FWIW, I took a large WT Doe with a .45 RB a long while back. I repaired a fellow's C&B rifle and in return he allowed me it's use for the season.
Not an optimal shot, but from ~60 yards, the ball entered her hind quarters, crossed through her diagonally and exited her opposite shoulder. She didn't bang-flop, but she didn't go far either, and there wasn't a bunch of damage. That was with a round patched ball and ~50-55 grains of Pyrodex loose powder, as I recall.
It was effective beyond what you would think, given the numbers.

Cheers
Trev
 
Shooting a lethal charge of FFFG behind a maxi or mini ball in a CVA Kentucky will wake ya up in the morning!!:p
The stocks on those guns are short with sharp comes and the drop is not conducive to comfortable shooting for sure!
Cat
 
I used exactly the same rifle for years. I had 2 "go to" loads: I used 22gr. of fffG and a round ball for grouse and rabbits. Very accurate for head shots out to 25 yds. For bigger critters, I used a 250 gr. pure lead maxi ball and 70 gr. of fffG. It was very accurate out to 100 yds. I also found a huge drop in accuracy if I went over 70 gr. of powder.

BTW, if you want 2 handy-dandy pre-measured powder holders, take a 30-06 case and fill it with powder, then slip a 9mm cartridge over the mouth of the case. You may have to squeeze the 9 shell a bit to get a snug fit, but it's a great measure, in that it will easily slip into the muzzle of the 45. IIRC, it holds about 72 gr. (by volume) of fffG. Likewise, for small game, use a 30 M1 case filled, with a 9 mil over the neck. It's right around 22 gr., IIRC. Either way, you're well below max with either, so if my memory is off a bit, you're still very safe. I used those for years, still do when I take one of my traditional charcoal burners out - which isn't nearly often enough any more.

If you have trouble finding 9 mil casings (yeah,right), I just noticed that a 45-70 shell will slip over an '06 case quite snugly, so that should do.
 
Last edited:
No one seems to be concerned about rifling rate of twist when using a Minnie in a rifle designed for round ball. It must work or the deer would complain about key holing.
 
Back
Top Bottom