5.56 military 55 grn ball ammo

You probably already know this, but it bears repeating - be sure your firearm is chambered for 5.56 as 5.56 and .223 are not the same thing ..., etc., etc. Other than that, actual 5.56 nato loads, have for me at least, been fine shooters. I have gotten excellent accuracy with them and they kick butt with their ballistics. What are they worth? That would depend on the manufacturer in my opinion. I have had some from southeast asia that were filthy, and some american stuff that was clean and very accurate. I would not hesitate at 8-12 bucks a box.
 
Pfft, total junk. I'll relieve you of your burden for 5 bucks a box (20). :D

Most of the milsurp 55gn I've seen shoots just fine, although the 62gn pills aren't really known for their accuracy... but they do have that steel penetrator wedged near the front. I handload 62's and don't mind 'em a bit, personally.

-M
 
zombies only deserve the best!

I personally find it less accurate because of the higher pressure, and because I train with lower power 223 to save the 556 for the end days. I also pamper my ARs because they are all Colts.

But if you can get it at a good price grab it!
 
Anyone know what its worth?
Is it good stuff to shoot accuracy wise.

I say you may be able to get $8.00-10.00 a box.

As far as accuracy, it'll meet the minimum requirements of the contracting Nation/service branch... so I'm guessing an average of about 1MOA...? Not laser precise, but good enough for the intended purpose of the people who have to use it.
 
They are in 40 rnd boxes and are marked "Lot FNM-83-8"

FNM could be from either Portugal or Mexico: both countries have plants that headstamp FNM. Being 1983 it should not have the NATO cross-in-circle as well on the headstamp, as NATO did not, I THINK, standardize 5.56 mm Ball that early. When they did, it would be with a 62 grain bullet, not 55 grain.

Which, I guess, is why it is surplus.
 
Back
Top Bottom