.50 cal bp cannon...need help fast with load data

icehunter121

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Location
Alberta
K so here is the deal. I hope to make it to a auction tomorrow and there is a .50 cal bp cannon gonna be on the block. If it goes for good price its coming home with me. I already have lead balls for it from my .50 rifle,fuse from my still in the making golf ball mortar...but but...I only have pyrodex rs powder on hand. Will it work or can it work for it?

On Sunday I am going to a bp shoot for the day and would like to take it along and get some fun with it. Any ideas as to a starting charge for it? Most ppl shooting there will have some goex I could buy,but just in case.....I need info for say the pyro or actual bp...HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP....
 
I have a .50 cal. flint pistol and use 48 grains of Goex with good results, your pyrodex should work just fine in the cannon and the fuse will certainly light it off.
 
Greetings-Having built and shot mini-cannons in many configurations came to the realization (DUH) that they are only a smooth bore pistol. Therefore, treat them the same way and shoot half your caliber in fffg powder-any more just goes out the barrel making lots of noise and smoke. My own trick is to use cigarette tubes with my measured charge inside-load the piece with filter out which acts as a wad then the ball and then overwad to keep ball from rolling out and away you go. Be sure to insert fuze first. Enjoy
 
Just for info sake I'm currently shooting a .62 cal in bronze using a .600 ball ,30 grns fffg and felt overwad. After 3 shots the bore is tight enough that I don't even need the overwad.Does about 6" group at 25 yds and enough power to go thru both walls of a 45 gal steel drum
 
so did you get this thing??

Pics??

Little cannons-big cannons-its all good

Nope never got it.It was in wainwright which I am sure you know of. I did a phone reserve bid then called back 45 minutes later to change it to a live phone bid.They called me and I boosted my phone bid to reasonable on it,then it jumped up another 70 bucks in seconds,then 50 bucks over that again. I am glad I didn't drive there and sit for just about 5 hours to have this happen...
 
Back
Top Bottom