.50 Maxi-ball or round ball?Better than sabots?

In an Encore certainly cheaper than sabots. Probably not better.
You might be able to get a round ball to fly relatively straight if you used around 40-60 grains of powder and probably would get better performance with a maxi.

Don't expect 1.5" 100 yard groups with either though.

I think the Encore has a 1 in 28 inch twist.
Most compromise maxi - round ball guns have a 1 in 48 twist.
A dedicated round ball gun's twist is closer to 1 in 60
 
If I can find a used mold to try out and the accuracy is reasonable I will use them. I have an unlimited supply of lead so projectiles are free.If I could find a source of cheap sabots I would try them as I have a .45 mold too.
 
R.E.A.L. Boollits...get a mold and don't look back. Your lead has to be soft though, Wheel weights don't work here. A R.E.A.L. projectile will weigh 1 and a half times what a ball weighs, and a Minnie is about twice what a ball weighs. Not sure about a Maxi ball.
 
Back
Top Bottom