.510 barrel liner

Sharps '63

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I want to reline the barrel of my .54 ERMA Gallagher carbine so that I can use the light 350 gr .512 bullets I've started to shoot in my Shiloh 50-70s. They socket right into the Gallagher cases as do the same unsized bullets at .515.

I have found a .510 hammer forged liner, but it's got a stated .532 groove diameter. Are my bullets (cast from 100% lead) going to obturate sufficiently in this liner?
 
You won't find happiness with .512" bullets in a .532" inch bore unless possibly hollow base, but even then........I'd paper patch your .512" bullets up to .532", that's what Sharps used in their early .50 factory fodder anyways....Ben
 
I know it's a pain in the backside with the paper work but Bob Hoyt down the States relines the Gallagher replicas and his work is top notch.If I had one I would for fun try some of the 54cal saboted bullets.I am playing around with the idea of buying one of the Romano percussion Maynard carbines and getting a 30 inch barrel making it a sporting rifle version.The Romano maynards are top notch and would be a fun gun to play with and are crazy accurate.
 
Tapped a .512 sized/lubed bullet into my .50 barrel liner and it mikes .510. The grooves are shallow, looking much like what's in my Shiloh .50s; definitely NOT .532 as per the spec sheet.

Looks like my goal of a .50 Gallagher carbine is nearing fruition .... ;>)
 
Back
Top Bottom