.54 cal bullets?

jtoews80

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I recently started shooting a .54 cal. Can I use a mould made for a 50-90 to make a .514" 500 grn conical with lube grooves if I use a patch to make up the difference in diameter. Essentially, it's the same as a ball, as long as runout isn't an issue or am I missing something?

JT
 
Why wouldn't you just get a .54 cal. mould? The Lyman Plains .54 cal. mold is perfect size and very accurate in my Lyman ML, I have compared it to a Maxi, R.e.a.l., and round ball, none come close to the Lyman bullet for accuracy. Paper patch bullets usually start out about .010" undersize for best results.
 
Ok, good to know. The only reason I thought to try the 50 mould is that it's on hand and I haven't made it to Edmonton since november due to life being busy. I have a lot of wheel weights, no pure lead, so patching may end up being a good option. I test myast alloy at 12-15 brinell.
 
You didn't mention the rate of twist in your barrel. If slow like 1:66" for a round ball then you may find conicals will not stabilize and will tumble. If the twist is 1:48 or faster then conicals will likely stabilize okay. Strongly suggest getting a proper mold rather than improvising - Lee molds aren't much more than $20.
 
Back
Top Bottom