.54 maxi, where to buy

Why not invest in some basic casting equipment and source out a supply of pure lead. Just add a little 50/50 bar solder for fill out and that's it. Get some T/C natural lube and you are ready to go. A supply of projectiles for when ever you need it.
 
I appreciate the advice about rolling my own but my particular situation is low consumption and the simple economics of it make it a poor choice.
I have several 45-70 as well but once again only sighting in and hunting so I would have to be eating a bunch of hundreds of shots to win any gains.
I know there is satisfaction in casting your own but I have no desire. Also have a gallon paint can of wheel weights :rolleyes:
 
Don't know where you can source some then. Was getting mine (50cal) from Whole Sale Sports (no longer exists) and Cabelas (no longer a stocked item). Even then, it was a crap shoot as to what grain Maxi they had in stock at any one time. Casting for me is now the only option.
Like you I only consume them in hunting quantities. Unlike you I was already casting for hand gun. A $30 investment in a mould and a single casting session produced a life times supply.

MAXI-2.JPG

PANLUBING.JPG

M
 

Attachments

  • MAXI-2.JPG
    MAXI-2.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 91
  • PANLUBING.JPG
    PANLUBING.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Not a sponsor, but Track of the Wolf in the US has some .54 bullets in stock, both Maxi-balls and Minie. I have no idea if they ship lead bullets to Canada, or what the costs might be. The bullets are about $0.50 USD apiece for Maxi and $0.70 for Minie, shipping extra. If you cannot locate a Canadian supplier, it is worth a shot checking with them...
 
Buy a bottom pour electric pot, and a Lee mould. Cast a few hundred or more in an evening and sell the pot and die . Expense will be next to nothing and your problem is solved.
 
I cast my own in .45,.50 +.54, as for buy use and sell ........good luck getting your money back.Everyone's darling is the .50
 
Back
Top Bottom