577-450 brass?

DaveM

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Location
Manisnowba
I'm having a difficult time finding brass for 577-450 in Canada. I've tried several sources so far to no avail. Epps has none and others that I know equally nothing. Rayner Shine I have not been able to get in touch with. Anyone know of any other Canadian suppliers who do have this brass?I know about the 24 guage brass conversion but am not interested at this point to try that.
 
Yeah I wish this stuff was more affordable. I have rifles but nothing to shoot out of them. I will probably try my hand at the 24ga brass route once I get everything together, as there is a lot of good info out there on this.

Apparently good cases can last almost indefinitely with periodic annealing.
 
You can buy the brass shotshells at Buffalo Arms. $24/25, plus shipping. h ttp://www.buffaloarms.com/Shotgun_Reloading_Brass%20_it-161409.aspx?CAT=3832

Buffalo Arms states on their website:

Due to federal regulations we cannot ship rifle and pistol brass outside of the U.S. Shotgun brass is excluded from these regulations unless we ship them through our exporter. If your order has rifle or pistol brass on it we will automaticly remove these from the order and ship the balance with out contacting you.

J
 
Over the last few days I sized up some 24 g magtec brass down to 577-450 MH.Had a few problems to start .I annealed them first and then chamfered them with a battery post cleaner,then used the imp wax for lube and did the die.Slow and steady was a bust wrinkled 4 out of 10 fataly (40%).
Regrouped and tried a more rapid approach after pushing the brass to the taper in the die and a firm fluid stroke 24 out of the next 25 perfect:)) and the wrinkled one will also work as I used a back end of a punch as a mandrel to tap it out ,so end result was 25 of the 25 are now MH brass .So out of 50 pieces I ended up with 46 cases for $65 t-s-d all in with a borrowed set of dies ,now to find a nice rifle to use them in :)) -next
 
Last edited:
Rain r shine gun works usually keeps some magtech brass on hand, but they are not always easy to get in touch with, I think they go to a lot of gun shows. I seen a set of lee dies at goble's in London
 
CH4D also has dies for the 577-450

h ttp://www.ch4d.com/catalog/dies/caliber-list/?field=desc&query=577-450
According to their website, the 577-450 dies are "Group J" which apparently is a 1-14 size die. If I'm reading things right I think CH4D also sells adapters under their Press Top Bushings listing that I think you'd need to fit the large Lee or RCBS presses, which take 1-1/4-12 size "large" dies.

A whole set looks like it costs lots of money but they do appear to offer many types of die. Interesting.
 
Howdy

When I found out that Jamison brass was out of buisness, I contacted Mystic Precision (see banner above) He said that there still brass in the "pipeline" and I was able to buy 40 cases. Brass will last a long time as long as you anneal the case necks. I made my own neck sizer to do the necks. I don't worry about resizing the main body of the case as it never changes.

Sticker
 
Howdy

When I found out that Jamison brass was out of buisness, I contacted Mystic Precision (see banner above) He said that there still brass in the "pipeline" and I was able to buy 40 cases. Brass will last a long time as long as you anneal the case necks. I made my own neck sizer to do the necks. I don't worry about resizing the main body of the case as it never changes.

Sticker
How long ago was this? I asked Mystic Precision about this near the end of July and I was told all they can get now was Bertram brass. And that was on backorder. $160/20 or $760/100

Ouch!:kickInTheNuts:
Unfortunately that IS the going rate from what I have been able to find out...
 
Here is the word from a serious shooter of obsolete calibers on an American discussion board ....

"Confirmed today that in about 2 months the availability of Jamison brass will be back. All the former Jamison employees have signed on with the new company that is operating out of Rapid City SD called Cap Tech.
They are setting up the equipment now, and working on a new website . So standby oh yee shooters of obscolete stuff, new brass is once again coming available."
 
Here is the word from a serious shooter of obsolete calibers on an American discussion board ....

"Confirmed today that in about 2 months the availability of Jamison brass will be back. All the former Jamison employees have signed on with the new company that is operating out of Rapid City SD called Cap Tech.
They are setting up the equipment now, and working on a new website . So standby oh yee shooters of obscolete stuff, new brass is once again coming available."

This will be like waiting for Norton to finally make Winchester Lee Navy parts!
 
Back
Top Bottom