.577 bullets

Norincodude

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Well, after over 45 years of shooting modern, smokeless powder guns with them new-fangled cartridges, I got me a Pedersoli Enfield Musketoon 1861 in .577 cal. Why this model? Well, I liked the looks. And I wasn't disappointed when it arrived on my doorstep (next day!) from Marstar. Like many things in my life I start with the looks and then work backwards to the practical (so far, so good with guns and women).

So.... gotta get me some powder - check, some percussion caps - check, .577 Minie projectiles......... .577 Minie projectiles... hmmm.

So, my question is, where can I get .577 projectiles for my new Musketoon? Living in Ottawa I checked the usual suspects. Le Barons - no, Higginson doesn't list them. Called Ellwood Epps - nope.

Can anyone help me out here?
Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I'll second Dennis at Shooter's Den. It's been a while since I've been through town long enough to drop in, but the last time I was there had had some .577 Minie in stock, on one of the many, many, many well-stocked shelves.
 
TOTW is out of stock, I tried. I heard about this guy but I haven't contacted him yet.

CONTACT & MAIL INFORMATION
Email
-
randrbullets@gmail.com
Rick Pearson
P.O. Box 305
5 Oak St.
Maitland, ON
K0E 1P0
(5 minutes just east of Brockville, ON)
“Visits-By Appointment ONLY"
 
If you can find some 577 molds with the hollow base attachment, life is much easier. No one makes hollow base dies anymore, unless it's by special order and trust me, they are very expensive.
 
TOTW is out of stock, I tried. I heard about this guy but I haven't contacted him yet.

CONTACT & MAIL INFORMATION
Email
-
randrbullets@gmail.com
Rick Pearson
P.O. Box 305
5 Oak St.
Maitland, ON
K0E 1P0
(5 minutes just east of Brockville, ON)
“Visits-By Appointment ONLY"

I buy bullets from Rick for the Snider. They measure .588 to.589 ". 475 gr and are flat base conicals. Single grease groove.
 
Just an update. I contacted Rick at R&R Bullets, and he is no longer casting black powder projectiles but his line of center fire projectiles is still available.
 
I want to thank everyone for their input. As usual CGN members come through again.

I decided to buy the Lee Mould. I got the 575-500 M, as in .575 cal, 500 grain Minie. With shipping, fees, etc. it came to US$54.95. My Dad casts his own bullets so it'll give me a good excuse to head over his way and make some bullets. I may buy some pre-casts at a later date from manufacturers as listed by contributors here.

Thanks again everyone!
 
With the Enfield
1) when casting bullets use a 95% lead 5% tin alloy
2) make sure your alloy and molds are hot
3) drop bullets on a soft cloth
4) start out with just enough powder to get the bullet to the target. for 58 caliber I would start at 55 to 60 grains (volume on the powder measure). WOrk up a load for hunting.
5) use FFg black powder - cleanup with hot water is easy
6) if you use pyrodex ( A perchlorate based powder) be more diligent with the hot water cleanup. The perchlorate salts tend to stick to the metal in corners an crannies.

I shoot patched round ball for target practice in my 58 Enfield. I use about 45 to 50 grains of powder. It is accurate, and works well.
 
For lube do not use any lubes with a petroleum base such as Vaseline, paraffin, ATF fluid or Alox.
Petroleum products mixed with black powder residue can make something akin to road tar.

Vegetable shortening, lard, etc are fine. One of my favorite lubes is lard or bear fat mixed at a 90-10 ratio with beeswax.
I have also heard good things about a 50-50 mix of olive oil and beeswax, but have not got around to trying it.
 
Back
Top Bottom