.577 snider ammo, can you help me?

you really don't even need dies after they are fire formed its what I do a .590"-.600" round ball fits nicely into a fired 24ga case as they are very thin I mark my cases so I can index them the same every time. I load my powder charge seat a thin card wad so it has something stiff that will be easy to compress and separate the lubed felt wads from the powder then I thumb seat the ball. play with powder charge and ball size(.585"-.600" in pure lead) to get the best accuracy any of these ball loads will take a deer no problem
 
You can measure by mass after you've figured out the volume equivalent.
-Measure 70gr by volume, then weigh it to figure the mass of the charge, from then on, mass will do.
 
Fireforming - The term fire forming in firearms refers to the process of reshaping a metallic cartridge case to fit a new chamber by firing it within that chamber. Glenn Newick, "The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy", Stroger Publishing Company, 1989. ISBN 0-88317-159-7
A cut to 2" length case mouth on a 24 ga Magtech case measures .643 OD.
A 2" cut and ( albeit redneck formed... ) formed from the same brass 577 case has an OD of .613
How on earth are you fitting a case into the chamber to fireform it?
I think your version of fireforming and mine must differ somewhat as it seems impossible to me. In fact I've a 577 Snider leaning on the wall beside me and a cut and unformed 24 Magtech beside the mouse...it does not fit. It does slide in about 1.10 inches then stops dead as the chamber has the proper taper.
Perhaps someone has opened up the chamber on your rifle to something other than original, but an unaltered S-E will not fireform 24 ga Magtech brass as it cannot be inserted into the chamber to be fired.
 
Fireforming - The term fire forming in firearms refers to the process of reshaping a metallic cartridge case to fit a new chamber by firing it within that chamber. Glenn Newick, "The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy", Stroger Publishing Company, 1989. ISBN 0-88317-159-7
A cut to 2" length case mouth on a 24 ga Magtech case measures .643 OD.
A 2" cut and ( albeit redneck formed... ) formed from the same brass 577 case has an OD of .613
How on earth are you fitting a case into the chamber to fireform it?
I think your version of fireforming and mine must differ somewhat as it seems impossible to me. In fact I've a 577 Snider leaning on the wall beside me and a cut and unformed 24 Magtech beside the mouse...it does not fit. It does slide in about 1.10 inches then stops dead as the chamber has the proper taper.
Perhaps someone has opened up the chamber on your rifle to something other than original, but an unaltered S-E will not fireform 24 ga Magtech brass as it cannot be inserted into the chamber to be fired.

I form the with the dies first after the first firing I load as said. above my sinder has a bit of a loose chamber but the 24ga brass needs to be sized to fit
 
Ah, that makes sense. Please excuse me for getting confused.
Then they are not fireformed cases, they are just not re-sized after firing. Not unlike the 'O-ring trick' with 303 British.
The OP does not have a press and 577 dies, so that is the stalling point I believe.
I was thinking of how one 'Fireforms' 30-30 Win to 38-55 Win with the COW method, that will not work with a Snider. That is what I was trying to convey.
 
Well I went from being stalled out on cases and bullets to being stalled on powder... Where the heck can Fg black powder be had? Googlefu and the usual avenues have all been a bust.
Could I use FFg with the plastic hulls?
thanks
 
nice video, he peans out the head so that may give him a bit of protection on blow back which is the problem of using a smaller guage than it was designed for. if you read the other threads you will see people warning about using 28guage shells in these. i never had a problem but i only fired 3 or 4 of them before buying the proper brass size and making some rounds up with those. you will see my youtube link in my signature block, i have a couple snider enfield videos on my channel.




 
Back
Top Bottom