.577 snider/enfield parts

royce

Regular
Rating - 100%
152   0   0
Location
Saskatchewan
Just recently acquired a Mark II**, and now need to find a firing pin and return spring. Are some parts readily available for these units? I did find a website that have them, but there in the UK. I was hoping I could find something a little bit more to home. Any info would be appreciated.
 
Well, I'm in Oregon right now, but I'm also going back to UK for a short while and within two weeks I'll be home in Ontario. Peter Dyson - supplier of most Snider bits, is only a short way from me, and notwithstanding Polar_Hunter's kind offer, I'd be v. happy to find what you need and bring it over to send you.

Same goes for anybody, of course.

tac in Eugene
 
I'm just about done the ' Honey-do list' & actual work is a ways off...might have to form some brass and smelt some bullets.
When you get it running, shoot me a line...I'm heavy with components for Snider fodder. Maybe help you get the ole girl blowing smoke again.
 
Just to reiterate what Tac said-Peter Dyson is the 'go to' man for quality Snider / Enfield parts and he ships worldwide. http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/
IMA in the US usually have a stock of parts as well. http://www.ima-usa.com/militaria/gun-parts/antique-gun-parts.html
If you are after specific parts then it is worth while joining the British Militaria Forum http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/
They have quite a few Canadian members who are into the 'black art' and have a healthy for sale and swap section.
If you draw a blank let me know and I will do a bit of digging over this side of the pond-I can always ship stuff over to you.
Good luck in your search.
 
Thanks Silfield, I will keep you in mind if I run into any problems. So far I have been given a lot of support for getting this old girl to bark again. Royce
 
Well I finally got a firing pin and spring, now for the sad news. There is zero travel for the pin with or without the spring in place, also the part of the firing pin that hits the primer does not even show its self, if you apply pressure simulating a hammer strike. So no boom yet. Looks like some modifing maybe envolved. By chance are the mark II's different in the firing pin end of things, compared to the other models?
 
Found the problem to the firing pin not having proper travel. There was a hollowed out spacer in there. For whatever reason, I don't know. But it's out and the firing pin works fine now. Now the hunt for getting materials together to build cartridges. Thanks to Zuke for the heads up on the breech block.
 
Well I'm bringing this thread back to life, found all my components, finally did some reloading, and took my snider out to the range today to see what kind of noise it makes. As tac said, "Boom". Whoa, you ain't kidding. There is even some very noticeable kick to them as well. Loaded up 5 rnds. of 460gr. RN FB with some 2f black, (75gr.) a grease cookie and set everything into place. Was not looking to see about accuracy, just wanted to touch off these rounds and make some noise. Going to try some .600 rnd next. And the playing begins.
 
Glad to hear that you got it shooting. You will probably find that it is best not to resize your case when loading .600 round balls. Load one fire formed case an check to make sure that it chambers properly.
 
I found some time today to make some tooling for round ball loads in a brass case. I didn't roll them as in the video above, I ran my balls through a sizer,,, LOL. The main thing that I found, as it shows in the video, is that you have to get the ball started square in the case. A special bell mouth tool did the job.

https://youtu.be/dVG9IZT6MtI
 
Glad to hear that you got it shooting. You will probably find that it is best not to resize your case when loading .600 round balls. Load one fire formed case an check to make sure that it chambers properly.
Thanks for the heads up. On the one video the guy using the two steel plates makes it look easy to get it down in size.
 
Royce,
The military charge for the Snider was only 70grains so at 75 it would kick a bit. When I got mine I tried starting at 50 grains & up in increments of 5 grains & the most accurate load I found (for my rifle) is 65 grains, shooting a 560 grain Minie.
 
Back
Top Bottom