.58 cal minie 500 grains and Hodgdon Triple 7 powder

Norincodude

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Finally getting around to shooting my Musketoon this weekend. I cast some 500 grain Minie bullets a while back. For whatever reason I ended up with a pound of Hodgdon Triple 7 powder but I am short on reloading data. Does anyone have any data for Triple 7 with this bullet? Thanks!
 
Is it a Flint Lock or a Cap Lock, if it is a flinter Hodgdon recommends 5 grains of black powder be poured in before the main charge to ensure ignition.
I have used Triple 7 in a .54 cal flinter using a 330 grain bullet..my charge was 60 grains of Triple seven with 5 grains of black in first as it would not ignite without it (I tried), I also used FFFFG Goex in the pan for all my shots,your bullet and bore are bigger so you probably need more powder to get it moving.
Triple 7 is more energetic than black so be careful not to use to much.
Hodgdon has a reloading web site with information on Triple 7 so google it.
 
The musketoon is a percussion arm, made initally in replication form by Parker-Hale [like mine], and latterly by somebody or other in Italy who makes them for Euroarms and others.

I shoot mine with a 535gr Minié bullet [Lyman's] and 55gr by WEIGHT of Pryodex RS. IMO, and admittedly not from trying it, 777 is possibly a mite too vigorous for such a large bore carbine, but please go ahead and try it and let us know what happens
 
more than 60 grains of powder with a minie will cause the bullet skirt to flare at the end of the barrel. This flaring slows the bullet down considerably.
 
Back
Top Bottom