7.62 nato

DATAM

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Ottawa
I recently bought an Australian AIA Lee Enfield in 7.62 Nato to do some target shooting. Seems to be a shortage of military surplus ammo around for this calibre. Anyone know why? and a good source for target shooting ammo? Prices on new stuff have gone through the roof lately, and I thought it would be a reasonable calibre for target shooting.
 
There is no great supply of military surplus ammuntion.
Commercial ammunition is not inexpensive.
Handloading might be your best bet, if ammuntion cost is a consideration.
 
Its to the point now where 'surp' 7.62 is around 1.00 @ round and a box of fed fusion 150/180 gr 'hunting'( 308-same s**t ) is going for 15.99 a box @ WSS:(
 
I wouldn't recommend NATO surplus .308 for target shooting, although I hear the Portuguese is accurate. The rest is going to be all over the target compared to either commercial Match ammo, or better still, your own reloads.
 
I'm working on getting some 7.62NATO as my first ammunition import, but there seems to be some problems in transport getting ammo from South Africa, one of the major producers of the cartridge. They also don't like responding to emails, and I'm too cheap to call long distance since I'm unemployed. Obviously we all want surplus 7.62x51mm if possible, but she's not an easy task...
 
Interesting link Tiriaq thanks. I don't think you can import ammunition from a foreign country unless you have a import permit. Even getting it in the USA there are restrictions. I'm surprised companies like Marstar don't have stocks though, it seems like there is no shortage of Soviet calibres.
 
The AIA manual says you can use commercial .308 but it won't provide the same velocities. It also warps out the brass a bit. I highly doubt they are re-usable, but I have no knowledge on reloading. Could get a photo of the cartridges if anyone cares.

You will have no problem using 150-180g ammo, but it is indeed $20+/20 shots
Good fun, it lets you know if you're not shouldering it properly.
Would suggest the 150's for general use.
 
I'm not sure about the reloading, I used to reload pistol ammo, but gave it up. Takes too much time and effort for the saving. The ammount I shoot doesnt warrant buying all the reloading gear; and I live in a small townhouse, with no room to set up a reloading bench.
 
I recently bought an Australian AIA Lee Enfield in 7.62 Nato to do some target shooting. Seems to be a shortage of military surplus ammo around for this calibre. Anyone know why? and a good source for target shooting ammo? Prices on new stuff have gone through the roof lately, and I thought it would be a reasonable calibre for target shooting.

How do you like the rifle??? I saw some pics of it on thier website...very clean looking, new walnut stock, nice metal/park finish....got any pics of the rifle you can post? Happy Shoot'n:cool:
 
Pietro, I am very pleased with the rifle, it shoots well with Nato surplus ammo. I have mounted the scope Marstar gives with this rifle and sighted it in, with my last 5 rounds forming 1.5 inch group at 100 yards. I am still not finished sighting it in yet as i only had twenty rounds to play with. (10 Nato 147 grain and 10 150 grain commercial) I used 10 rounds with the iron sights, and my first shot was 1100 o'clock in the black. My breathing and trigger control is just coming back to me, so i'm sure it is capable of finer accuracy than I am at the moment. The rifle itself is heavy but very similar in every respect to the old Lee Enfield .303. I was dubious about the magazine quality. but they seem to be reasonably made, and feed well. I am having a three point Ching Sling made by Laroch Leathers for it. Unfortunately I do not have the know how to post photo's here, but will ask my kids if they can do it and try and post some. The rifle is good looking, although some people might not appreciate the Parkerised finish as much as the blued.
 
i shoot the odd 200gr bullet from my m14 in front of a reduced load...
back on topic,reloading is the way to go considering match ammo is going for 2 dollars a round, reloading for 308 can produce rifle match ammo for half the price, plinking ammo for about 60 cents a round, then you can tailor make bullets for use ie; 110gr for varmint/plinking, 130 for small deer/plinking, 150gr for deer/plinking, 168gr larger game/target shooting, 200gr cast bullets for plinking/deer

i just finished loading 100 rounds, took about 2hr, savings equal 40 dollars, thats 20 dollars an hour savings
 
Anybody know about Hirtenberger 7.62x51 ? Found a bit for sale privately, I have heard it is top notch ball ammo. Anybody used it? I'm looking to reload them.Any current prices? Practice ammo for the wife. Any info would be appreciated!
 
Back
Top Bottom